Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

K98 Grip Question Help please

Article about: I acquired this non matching bayonet that was in good condition and reasonably priced \\$60 US. My question is the wood grips look a bit different than others I have seen when researching. Arm

Default K98 Grip Question Help please

I acquired this non matching bayonet that was in good condition and reasonably priced $60 US. My question is the wood grips look a bit different than others I have seen when researching. Armory replacements or Bubba replacements? What perior is correct for this scabbard? Thoughts and opinions are appreciated. Thank you for looking.
    John

K98 Grip Question Help pleaseK98 Grip Question Help pleaseK98 Grip Question Help pleaseK98 Grip Question Help pleaseK98 Grip Question Help pleaseK98 Grip Question Help pleaseK98 Grip Question Help pleaseK98 Grip Question Help pleaseK98 Grip Question Help please

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement K98 Grip Question Help please
    P
    Many

Leave it to Anderson or Fred ...can give you exact information...also Andy B and Sleepwalker
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Unless I'm not seeing something? the grips look normal to me.

Not in hand, this might be a Yugoslavian(?) rework. The scabbard not a TR period factory scabbard for a S.84/98 the grips to me are possibly replacements as well. Especially with the left hand one the wood grain does not have a typically smooth factory appearance - or maybe it's the lighting/imaging? Best Regards, Fred

Agree with Fred. The wood grip is fairly coarse grain wood and appears to be post war ,I believe the 1942 bayonet came fitted with bakelite. The scabbard as Fred points out is also not correct and combined suggests a post war rework either Yugo or Czech. Note the WaA243 mark is not what is usually seen on TR S84/98, but correct for Mundlos.

?

The wood of grips is probably beech, but that would means not typical german, the scabbard could be belgian M24 shortage, or yugo shortage, the serials are not typical, should be compared the digits of ab42 Mundlos 1942. The blueing looks nice,from my reports Mike M reported a beech wood on no letter range piece ab42, so its possible some period rework pieces it could be here. b.r.Andy

Thank you for the detail information. I was assuming replacements but did not understand all of the details surrounding it. Thanks again.
    John