Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

K98 inscribed dress bayonet??

Article about: Hello one and all,I'm hopeing you guys can help me with this one as bayonets are not my usual thing.This k98 dress dagger has been inscribed and i hope that this is a contempory peice of wor

Default K98 inscribed dress bayonet??

Hello one and all,I'm hopeing you guys can help me with this one as bayonets are not my usual thing.This k98 dress dagger has been inscribed and i hope that this is a contempory peice of work.I am aware that there was a guy in the 70's wrecking K98's so i'm hopefull it's not one of his "masterpeices"(the muppet!)Anyway,the bayonet is made by what looks like E&F HORSTEN SOLINGEN.I say looks as i cannot read the last letter in the HORSTE? PART.The scabbard is numbered at the top where the hilt would come down to rest but as the black lacquer is so thick i can only make out ?15.The blade section has no number at allThe top section where it would have been nicely chromed has worn away over the years due to heavy polishing but there is the remains of an engraving there all be it very difficult to see.I have drawn a picture of what i can see through a X20 loop.(don't laugh i'm no artist!!)I am asuming that it is supposed to be a TOTENKOPFT with a guy waveing a flag out of a tank but i would like to know for sure what the significance is.The blade however is in really nice condition with the guys name on one side and his unit on the other.I am aware that this peice has recently come from a broken up collection so if you have seen this before i apologise in advance. Any input no matter how small would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture K98 inscribed dress bayonet??   K98 inscribed dress bayonet??  

K98 inscribed dress bayonet??   K98 inscribed dress bayonet??  

K98 inscribed dress bayonet??   K98 inscribed dress bayonet??  

K98 inscribed dress bayonet??  
    Last edited by FALLSCHIRMJAGER; 08-30-2012 at 08:51 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement K98 inscribed dress bayonet??
    P
    Many

Default Re: K98 inscribed dress bayonet??

Hi FSJager! You gave a very detailed description of the bayonet and your thought. I commend you for that. You are correct when you say the maker is EF Horster. IMHO I feel the worded inscription is not period as to the fact it is not matching in wear and patina with the rest of the bayonet. ( Check out photo #3 ) almost crispy looking. Your artists rendition of the skull and tank is quite excellent,, so no laughs here,, because it looks exactly as whats on the blade. I cant say for sure also on that one but it looks a,little more worn down the the inscription. It could be period,,hard to say,, or just after the war and passing time gave it some realism. Engravings are a tough call on any blade,, but this one I feel as stated in your 3rd photo,, i would shy away from. The Bayonet itself is good!,, no doubt. I have seen SA Rohm daggers destroyed by idiots who would take a perfectly good SA dagger add the dedication only to grind it down and call it a Rohm dagger. So this is my 3 cents worth and wait for some others to chime in on this. I hope Horst our Moderator can say something about it as it might be his!
    Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thanks Larry for your valued opinion,much appreciated.The inscription when in hand is alot softer then the pictures show it to be as i had to get an angle on it from the sun to show up the detail so that is why the edges look sharp,the light scrap marks that are caused by the removing of the blade from the scabbard also run over the top of the inscription.I am not saying that i disagree with your opinion in the slightest,just thought i would give you as much info as i can as you obviously know your mustard!! Thanks again.

I like the Honey Dijon mustards the best My opinion is only just that and it would be best to hear from the bayonet guys themselves. A weathered or worn blade is common knowledge to alot of blade collectors as That is all I can mostly say about the bayonet. I dont mind anyone disagreeing,, thats what drives this forum as we are here to learn. Even the most advanced collectors are still learning. Thanks for your thoughts in regard to mine. I am looking forward to more comments and input on your bayonet Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill