Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

k98 parade bayonet. bring back

Article about: this bayonet was the one my grandfather brought back from dunkirk evacuation 1940. My dad isent well now so ive been given this bayonet. dad had this as boy, and a fews years back when my an

Default k98 parade bayonet. bring back

this bayonet was the one my grandfather brought back from dunkirk evacuation 1940.
    My dad isent well now so ive been given this bayonet.
    dad had this as boy, and a fews years back when my antie passed away in scotland.
    my older brother who lives in thetford, england, went to dumfries. To help to clean out the house where she lived in. And found the bayonet in a box with a thread counter.
    We where lucky that he brought the items over when he visited.
    The old man said grandpar told him that he went to ground doing a air raid and felt somthing under the dirt and started to digg he pulled out the bayonet, a hand gun, jewelry, and a silk map in a cigar canister.
    He also said when crossing the chanel, that they were told that anyone one cought with unisuede items they will be disciplined.
    Grandpar joined the army in 1919 served till the 30s, and was in the reserves in the 30s. He was called up to go to france at the start of the war.
    He said to dad there was no way the army was going going to check all of them.
    He said boys still where throwing stuff over board anyway.
    Grandpar went on threw normandy to berlin as far as i know.
    The other items are long gone.
    But happy to have what i have.
    On a sad note he did tell dad that his good mate was hit threw the throat on the beach.
    so he left him dead, only to find he was a pow for the rest of the war.
    And the only thing he said about france was there was carnage every were.
    Grandpar was a driver in ww2. my dad still can remember that grandpar would drop in at home when transporting german POW,s and bring them inside, my grandmother would cook them all up potatoe scones and eggs. and they would all be off again. grandpar had one ex german POW come back in the 60s with family to say thankyou.
    Thanks for looking mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture k98 parade bayonet. bring back   k98 parade bayonet. bring back  

k98 parade bayonet. bring back   k98 parade bayonet. bring back  

k98 parade bayonet. bring back  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement k98 parade bayonet. bring back
    P
    Many

Presumably the stuff was stashed in the dunes by another soldier who 'obtained' the items in the general chaos of the retreat-jewellery would mean criminal looting and the Army wouldn't be pleased by an unauthorised pistol either.

Quote by lithgow View Post
    Presumably the stuff was stashed in the dunes by another soldier who 'obtained' the items in the general chaos of the retreat-jewellery would mean criminal looting and the Army wouldn't be pleased by an unauthorised pistol either.
    yea well we will never no. i just thought that with a map. the old man said it could have be someone that was working behind the lines. and and hid it to get to later. for bribes. but who know. i never met gerandpar so he could have had reason. on why he had ended up with these items. and dad could have been told somthing different.

?

Very nice . Gary

Nice looking bayonet mate!...

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Nice looking bayonet mate!...
    after a few years. i now finaly have it. so im happy. cheers mark

Bless ya mate, lets hope dad gets better. Im about an hour away from thetford so your telling me a local story from the other side of the world! LOL

thank you guys for the comments. cheers mark.

WOW...I like hearing and seeing these types of stories. The photos of your grandpop are great..and the items he found. I am sure he saw more than he wanted to see ..and saw things he should not of...War is hell as they say. Thanks for sharing and the bayo is still in great condition. Never mind the frog being split in half..as that also was a apart of your grandfathers tenure during that time. Regards larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Nice short KS98 as preferred by NCO's and officers it has proper dress frog which could be repaired looks like WKC maker with Knights head logo Nice piece with great family history and story. timothy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast