Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

K98 "Tr." markings on blade?

Article about: Hi everyone, I have a K98 bayonet in decent condition. It has the sheath with matching serial numbers (I'm not sure about the frog on this one, because the blade of the bayonet is dated '41,

?

Question K98 "Tr." markings on blade?

Hi everyone,

I have a K98 bayonet in decent condition. It has the sheath with matching serial numbers (I'm not sure about the frog on this one, because the blade of the bayonet is dated '41, and the frog is dated '42, so they may have no real history together...one of those things I may never know).

BUT, the reason for this post is to inquire to the more educated and experienced when it come to K98 bayonets. I had this bayonet at a local show and some of the dealers near my little table were all very interested in this particular bayonet because of one of the markings on the blade; It is marked "Tr."

I asked a lot why that is so interesting and why it is drawing attention, but as I posted on another forum, it reminded me of the the scene in the old movie "Close Encounters", when Richard Dreyfus is saying "This is important...this means something" but has no clue as to why???

So, I want to share some photos with the members here, and hopefully someone will be able to share some information of the significance of that marking. I would be very interested and appreciative

Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by como; 11-27-2015 at 05:04 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement K98 "Tr." markings on blade?
    P
    Many

Hi Como..thanks for posting your bayo here....the seasoned collectors here will be able to give you a precise answer on that " Tr " marking. The bayo is made by Paul Weyersburg "Crs " seen here k98 bayonets data and registry

have patience Como at least for this day being Thanskgiving in the US..but surely some of the forums Eastern Collectors will be happy to oblige shortly. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Question

I'm not aware that the Germans ever used a 5 diget ser nr on bayonets!
    I'd say it is a post war reissue by one of the Balkan countries.
    What are the markings on the back side of the scabbard?
    Sarge

SRB
    ?

i think not from balkan,only yugoslavia use reworked bayonets(with new numbers) and that is not from yugoslavia.
    tr - Paul Weyersberg use late period contract

?

One of the highest reported number for Tr range, looks the bayonet is correct. The 5 digits serial range is normal for this special Tr range.b.r.Andy

Quote by SRB View Post
    i think not from balkan,only yugoslavia use reworked bayonets(with new numbers) and that is not from yugoslavia.
    tr - Paul Weyersberg use late period contract

I belive that DDR and Czech reworks didnt have added numbers? Can you take a pic of the flash guard?

For the thread and myself..what does the " Tr" marking stand for? Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

This seems to be one of the nicer examples of a scarce bayonet - one the longest lasting mysteries in TR period bayonets seem to be the "Tr" series from Weyersberg, and they are not reworks. The numbers are period and underneath the original factory finish. With a number of theories advanced to try and explain them, they are outside the normal parameters of numbering schemes from a relatively major maker in that time period. With one of the theories being that they might have been for one of Germany's allies. With different candidates mentioned, one that's still in the running (IMO) is Romania with the lower case "r". Romania as Germany's largest contributor of non-German troops, also getting a lot of minor and major weapons systems from Germany and other sources such as the CZ factories under German control. With the frog here IMO a later addition, the originals I believe were clones of period German frogs other than being manufactured minus the rivets. Best Regards, Fred

SRB
    ?

bayonet is not rework,just marking of Weyersberg used in certain period....
    why or for what i dont know.....and this is not only bayonet with this marking,im see this bayonet and more
    also marked but no one say for what is -tr-.......

romania,bulgaria,hungary used austro-hungarian typs bayonets or rusian....... not germans

?

Quote by Frogprince View Post
    This seems to be one of the nicer examples of a scarce bayonet - one the longest lasting mysteries in TR period bayonets seem to be the "Tr" series from Weyersberg, and they are not reworks. The numbers are period and underneath the original factory finish. With a number of theories advanced to try and explain them, they are outside the normal parameters of numbering schemes from a relatively major maker in that time period. With one of the theories being that they might have been for one of Germany's allies. With different candidates mentioned, one that's still in the running (IMO) is Romania with the lower case "r". Romania as Germany's largest contributor of non-German troops, also getting a lot of minor and major weapons systems from Germany and other sources such as the CZ factories under German control. With the frog here IMO a later addition, the originals I believe were clones of period German frogs other than being manufactured minus the rivets. Best Regards, Fred
    Thank you for the post, and the interesting theory.

Per an earlier request fora photo of scabbard, here it is. It shows the identical "Tr" marking.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast