Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Late war K98 bayonet Query

Article about: Hi all. I recently picked up a late war K98 Bayonet marked “PYY 44” (Berg & Co), however there are some features that I find kind of different. The Bayonet has a crude type of blued fini

Default Late war K98 bayonet Query

Hi all.

I recently picked up a late war K98 Bayonet marked “PYY 44” (Berg & Co), however there are some features that I find kind of different.

The Bayonet has a crude type of blued finish and it seems the contours on parts like the pommel are not as smoothly finished as expected. Unlike my own bayonets alongside most others I've came across online, there are no serial numbers of any kind and the same seems to apparent on the scabbard, or at least not where usually visible; I haven’t removed the frog yet as it seems to be a tighter fit than my others and I don’t want to damage it.

With regards to other markings, I can see a lightly stamped Waffenamt on the pommel and another more clearly stamped example on the flashguard, the ball of the scabbard is also free of Waffenamts. The grip scales are of the usual black bakelite verity, however the grips screws are somewhat unusual also. The screw heads are flat and both said screws alongside the fittings on the other side appear to be covered in some kind of black paint.

I'd be glad to hear your thoughts or opinions on this item, and if these kinds of features have been found on other late war bayonets.

David

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Late war K98 bayonet Query
    P
    Many

Im not sure what to make of the grips conformity of this producer..... Anderson will be along shortly.

Fred , Sleepwalker or Andy will also comment.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

The reason it looks odd to you is because it is not a German made S84/98 but a Spanish made M-43 bayonet, that someone has attempted to disguise as a 1944 pyy. I have a 44 pyy and I can tell you the Waffenamt should be WaA519 and the "44 pyy" on this is the wrong font and size. Other clues with the Spanish bayonet is the different shaped narrower blade, different grip plates, scabbard is also from the M-43.

Hello and thank you for your very kind guidance.

It is a real shame as I was very pleased to find a nice late war Bayonet.

I suppose I'll just have to send it back, but I guess it shows that even with items such as this fakes are elsewhere.

Regrettably, I'm afraid that I have to agree with Anderson that this bayonet is a postwar fake that is far removed from what a period "pyy" should look like. Best Regards, Fred

RMD
    ?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    The reason it looks odd to you is because it is not a German made S84/98 but a Spanish made M-43 bayonet, that someone has attempted to disguise as a 1944 pyy. I have a 44 pyy and I can tell you the Waffenamt should be WaA519 and the "44 pyy" on this is the wrong font and size. Other clues with the Spanish bayonet is the different shaped narrower blade, different grip plates, scabbard is also from the M-43.
    I'm impressed by the information. Very cool

?

Mostly this is not a spain M1943 but most real a repro piece,that was fake stamped to 44pyy, which is clear visible on pictures, only the frog is probably a real one. note the rifle slot, grips and screw, same as shape of fuller.b.r.Andy

Quote by AndyB View Post
    Mostly this is not a spain M1943 but most real a repro piece,that was fake stamped to 44pyy, which is clear visible on pictures, only the frog is probably a real one. note the rifle slot, grips and screw, same as shape of fuller.b.r.Andy
    Possibly from a new batch of these fakes I think that AndyB "nailed it" (got it right). A little different than some of the new production fakes I've seen it could be that there is more than one maker in this area. Best Regards, Fred