Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Magnetic tip K98 ?

Article about: Hi guys hope you have had a nice time with your family’s. Picked this up, first K98 for me, seems like an honest piece. Another 1940, seems to be a small run of them lately. All matching but

Default Magnetic tip K98 ?

Hi guys hope you have had a nice time with your family’s.
    Picked this up, first K98 for me, seems like an honest piece. Another 1940, seems to be a small run of them lately. All matching but unfortunately has lost most of its blueing and scabbard screw. It also looks like it has been stuck on a rifle at some point as it has a hammered pommel which is slightly mushroomed. However it was cheap enough so I am happy.
    What I am interested on is the fact that the tip is slightly magnetic, is there any reason for this? or is it just some sort of anomaly. Or something to do with this manufacturer.
    Might be nothing. I was just interested.
    Any theory’s welcome.
    Thanks in advance
    Rod
    Magnetic tip K98 ?Magnetic tip K98 ?Magnetic tip K98 ?Magnetic tip K98 ?Magnetic tip K98 ?Magnetic tip K98 ?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Magnetic tip K98 ?
    P
    Many

The tip may have become magnetised by several methods. Having a magnet passed over it several times works to produce a weak field as does storage near a magnet or on a magnetic strip as seen used with some kitchen knives or work tools. Another scenario that can cause magnetism in a blade is if it is heated to a high temperature and hammered continuously as it cools. The entire blade will be magnetised, with it being strongest at the end or in this case, tip.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Heavy handed polishing with a power wire wheel and even steel wool can sometimes give metal a magnetic charge, from the looks of this one, I would say that is probably the reason. Nice to have numbers matching, even if heavily cleaned. The combat frog is a nice bonus though!

Jim

Thanks Ned and Jim for taking the time to answer.
    It was just that I thought this was a little odd.
    It could very easy be one of the scenarios you have mentioned.
    The scabbard isn’t magnetic.
    It’s probably been done by accident. How I noticed was the way it attracts the throat of the scabbard when entering it.
    Thanks for your theories.
    Have great New Year when it comes.
    Cheers
    Rod

These bayonets were sometimes used to pound tent
    pegs, and you'll see quite a few with disfigured
    grips, pommels or flash guards.

Even though heavily cleaned/polished, it's still
    nice to see a matching set.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Never thought of that Steve thanks.
    Had a mate of mine asked me the other week why it seems lots of these have dents on the flash plates. As good a reason as any.
    I like your aviator Sharpe, wounded/won the battle/and got his way with women just about every episode. Great stuff watched them all at least twice.
    Have a great new year.
    Rod