Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Matching '38 Elite Diamant, scabbard painted red ??

Article about: by Sleepwalker rust prevention was not a goal, it was more a blank metal prevention of camouflage reasons. The hilt isn´t of interest. This color were used not becouse of a rust prevention.

Default Matching '38 Elite Diamant, scabbard painted red ??

Hi Guys.
    This one was given to me by a good collegue last week.

Has anyone seen anything like it ? Looks like it could be period done....

Thanks
    HB
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Matching '38 Elite Diamant, scabbard painted red ??  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Matching '38 Elite Diamant, scabbard painted red ??
    P
    Many

Default Re: Matching '38 Elite Diamant, scabbard painted red ??

Almost certainly painted post-war. I can't think of a reason why it would have been painted glaring Red otherwise.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

The bayonet shows wear, but where are wear marks from it being carried in a bayonet frog?? Which is another reason that I have to agree with William:

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Almost certainly painted post-war. I can't think of a reason why it would have been painted glaring Red otherwise.

IMO post war too

but no trades of a frog is not a really a proof... this is almost a question of the intensity and the time of the use.
    I have a lot scabbards with original paint without any trade of a frog.

At the end of the war red anti rust color were used by Germans, because of a lack of other colors.

Equipment, even tanks were only painted in anti rust red.

Regards

Quote by Sleepwalker View Post
    IMO post war too

but no trades of a frog is not a really a proof... this is almost a question of the intensity and the time of the use.
    I have a lot scabbards with original paint without any trade of a frog.

At the end of the war red anti rust color were used by Germans, because of a lack of other colors.

Equipment, even tanks were only painted in anti rust red.

Regards
    While we are in agreement on postwar, I'm afraid that I am going to have to respectfully disagree to this extent. The red lead paint undercoating that was used as a rust preventive and primmer had a dull texture so that it could painted over and have any additional paint that was applied stick to it. And this red does not have the same appearance. And if rust prevention was the goal why not paint the handle as well? With the point on wear marks perhaps needing a little more explanation. Factory finished scabbards had fully hardened paint that resisted wear marks for a reasonable period of time that was subject to the actual amount of time worn (as was mentioned). With dress bayonets being on one end of the scale. But bayonets in field use were another matter. With some period combat frogs showing the result of a relatively long drying/hardening time needed for some of the period paints that were used, having traces of the paint that was applied to various items of field gear that were transferred to the frogs. Regards, Fred

Post war paint unknown why If it was mine I would carefully slowely remove it. timothy

?

The only reason I could even imagine painting it red was possibly for fire used by the Germans post war occupation even then that would be a first I would have to go with the paint being postwar. Why exactly do you believe that the paint is old on the bayonet is there a reason if so could you please inform us

?

This is a nice bayonet except for the red paint IMO. Matching Elite Diamants are not easy to find, and are a desirable maker of early bayonets. Like someone else said, this is one of those times where I would personally consider messing with it, and stripping the red paint properly. If you need an original frog for it, PM me.

Exactly! Carefully(that's Careful with a Capitol "C") strip that horrid red paint off and you'll likely have a pretty decent looking bayonet!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

rust prevention was not a goal, it was more a blank metal prevention of camouflage reasons. The hilt isn´t of interest. This color were used not becouse of a rust prevention. The reason was... no other color was available. By orders 1943-1945 the rebluing (Auffrischung der Deckungsmittel) of small arms were reduced or totally canceled. you also can find white, black or sand (Einheitsfarbe 42) colour.

In the end of the war, there can be found some equipment painted red (until to tanks) ... with no other cover. So it is not impossible, that scabbards were painted in red.

You can also find canteens with red lacquer out of the endwar period
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Matching '38 Elite Diamant, scabbard painted red ??   Matching '38 Elite Diamant, scabbard painted red ??  

Matching '38 Elite Diamant, scabbard painted red ??  
    Last edited by Larry C; 06-27-2013 at 11:10 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast