Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mauser K98 Bayonet help...

Article about: Gentleman, I would like your opinions on this K98 Mauser Bayonet. It is marked 1488b on one side and fze44 on the other. There is hat appears to be a small eagle ? on the top of the pommel.

?

Default Mauser K98 Bayonet help...

Gentleman, I would like your opinions on this K98 Mauser Bayonet. It is marked 1488b on one side and fze44 on the other. There is hat appears to be a small eagle ? on the top of the pommel. The blade appears chromed and is in immaculate condition. Infortunately the scabbard does not match. I have been told that many organisation were issued with bayonet and soni am wondering if this could be a civilian non combat version. The grips re mde forms bekerlite . Mauser K98 Bayonet help...Mauser K98 Bayonet help...Mauser K98 Bayonet help...Mauser K98 Bayonet help...Mauser K98 Bayonet help...Mauser K98 Bayonet help...Mauser K98 Bayonet help...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Mauser K98 Bayonet help...
    P
    Many

Default Re: Mauser K98 Bayonet help...

This one looks to be polished/cleaned pretty good and the screws on the bakelite grips are on the wrong side. this is not its original state and the bayonet has been taken apart.. it also looks if the backplate is missing?

Normally these bayonets were blackened or blued. As said, besides
    the mis-match, this one has been heavily cleaned/polished/plated.
    Regards,

Steve.

This was a military issue bayonet.

The bayonet was made by F W Holler [fze] in 1944 and the scabbard by E Pack [S177] in 1935 [G]

As the others have pointed out the bayonet and scabbard have been plated or very heavily polished and the flash guard has been removed.

Regards

Richie

There´re such overworked bayonets in traditional, shooting associations.

Here`s a 1937 chromed matching 98k bayonet. It`s beleived that these bayonets were chromed post war and that U.S. soldiers had it done in Germany prior to sending them home. I don`t know about the being chromed in Germany part. Would there have been facilities left to do that? This bayonet was mine and I sold it. I have also seen a chromed 1943 crs matching bayonet and there was one for sale at the Collector`s Guild a few months ago that was also matching.

grimlin13
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mauser K98 Bayonet help...   Mauser K98 Bayonet help...  

Mauser K98 Bayonet help...   Mauser K98 Bayonet help...  

?

Thank you for your replies. I have always wondered about the highly polished finish but was convinced it was not a fake. It has been in peripheries of my collection for about a decade and was looking to sell it on. Now I kow I will feel comfortable selling it as an original. Thanks for your time gents.

Mismatched but Authentic
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

As a practical matter, the service bayonets were treated the same as were the other service armaments carried by Wehrmacht forces, and for obvious reasons you don't see chrome, nickel plated, or bare metal government issue rifles or pistols. Plating changes tolerances, and a pistol that jams is of no use to a soldier. And while bluing won't prevent rust, it does impede it, and tends to minimize refections in combat situations. With what I found interesting in the very last days of the war was that were plans that were being made to move the Mauser factory. Which included not just the bluing operation, but provisions were also being made to move the phosphate ("Parkerizing") operation as well, that had a little earlier been adopted as a faster and more cost effective way to accomplish the same result as bluing. FP

?

Just picked up the bayonet for my 98k. Any information on where it was made? I found the info on my rifle and wanted to know more about the bayonet. Thanks for any help.Mauser K98 Bayonet help...Mauser K98 Bayonet help...Mauser K98 Bayonet help...Mauser K98 Bayonet help...Mauser K98 Bayonet help...Mauser K98 Bayonet help...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast