Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need Help Determining If K98 Bayonet Is A Fake

Article about: So, I have been saving up, but I thought I would be a bit lenient on myself and buy something to satisfy my addiction. Obviously, since this is german, I wanted to check it with you guys bef

?

Default Need Help Determining If K98 Bayonet Is A Fake

So, I have been saving up, but I thought I would be a bit lenient on myself and buy something to satisfy my addiction.
    Obviously, since this is german, I wanted to check it with you guys before I go off and buy it. It looks ok to me, but I don't usually purchase bayonets, they are not really something I collect too much and I am relatively new, so I couldn't spot a good fake if I saw one...
    Need Help Determining If K98 Bayonet Is A Fake Need Help Determining If K98 Bayonet Is A Fake Need Help Determining If K98 Bayonet Is A Fake Need Help Determining If K98 Bayonet Is A Fake Need Help Determining If K98 Bayonet Is A Fake Need Help Determining If K98 Bayonet Is A Fake Need Help Determining If K98 Bayonet Is A Fake Need Help Determining If K98 Bayonet Is A Fake Need Help Determining If K98 Bayonet Is A Fake

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need Help Determining If K98 Bayonet Is A Fake
    P
    Many

It looks fine to me at first glance. A photograph of the scabbard throat would be helpful, as that would help to determine if the bayonet is a matching one. In the fourth picture, you can see the WaffenAmt markings above the rectangular cutout for the locking button. Their style, as well as the bayonet having bakelite grips rather than wooden ones, indicates that this is a wartime production piece.

'E.Pack&S.' identifies the maker as Ernst Pack & Söhne, Solingen.

IMO, an original combat bayonet that has seen honest use.

Regards, B.B.

?

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    A photograph of the scabbard throat would be helpful, as that would help to determine if the bayonet is a matching one.
    Thanks for the fast reply!
    Yeah, the seller said that the bayonet wasn't matching, which doesn't bother me, I'm just looking for one that will look nice on display.

This would be perfectly fine as a display piece. It isn't in mint condition, but the wear and patina is light and even, and the exposed white metal gives it a rather striking appearance. The pitting on one side of the handle would indicate it has spent quite some time in contact with the frog. The frog itself is in pretty rough shape, but may very well be the one it has been with for the last 70+ years.

Regards, B.B.

?

Thanks, Brodie!

Glad I was able to help!

B.B.

Indeed a well worn set with little or no finish left. If you like it,
    I hope you can pick it up for a decent price.........
    Regards,

Steve.

There might be a number like 39 or 40 on the top edge of the blade near the crossguard, indicating year of manufacture. I can't see if there is from the photos. But it's an honest combat bayonet with the sort of wear you would expect from 5 years of active service. And the fact the scabbard is a replacement is not surprising as in wartime period they were often damaged and replaced by the QM. Some collectors tend to turn their nose up at a "non matching" bayonet, but it doesn't bother me, though matching is good too. Many of the photos we see of German combat troops show bayonets with the blued finish almost worn off completely, that's a badge of honour, indicating long service. A bit of damage to the flashguard, probably had a bit of acid cleaning and frog seen better days, but at the right price, a nice pick up.

?

At a strain, it looks like it might be 1939, Anderson...

Bob

?

There is sharpening of blade, so when not blueing on parts as it looks on blade was it removed by cleaning, i would search probably a better one, wrong side mounted screws. b.r.Andy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast