Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help identifying this bayonet

Article about: Just as an aside, I don't think the frog was made by PD Lüneschloss, the longtime maker of blades. It looks like "F. Lüneschloss, Solingen".

Default Need help identifying this bayonet

Hello all. New poster here. I have an early Alexander Coppel & son German bayonet I bought at an estate sale somewhere around 25 years ago when I was in my teens. I know very little about it, so I wanted to see if any of you could shed some light on it's history, value and rarity. Anyway, this is what I know.

It has the AC& son (coppel scales) the blade has as far as I can tell never been sharpened, the ball at the end of the scabbard wasn't dropped, the whole blade is covered in a cosmoline grease, it has the frog, there isn't a date anywhere on the knife other than the frog, the leather scabbard says something like eluneschloss solingen 1934. I've had it a while and know nothing about it. What exactly is this? Early 1934 german stuff is hard to find any information about. The only real marks I can see are the AC & son mark with the scales and maybe something on top of the knife near the handle.

Last edited by subrookie; 03-30-2011 at 05:26 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need help identifying this bayonet
    P
    Many

Default Re: Need help identifying this bayonet

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

It is a K98 bayonet. Looks like a nice clean example.

Cheers, Ade.

Ade, thanks for the warm welcome. Do you have any other information about this type of bayonet? When I looked on-line most of the 1934 on bayonets had numbering on the scabbard and the bayonet. This has neither, it only has the makers mark and a small star like mark on the top of the blade near the handle. I think it's in great condition, I remember buying it at an auction when I was in my teens and I've always kept it in a footlocker.

How collectable/rare is this? I would think it's collectible otherwise you wouldn't have this forum right! But, rare? I have no idea. Thanks again!

It would appear to be a non military bayonet - made for the police or one of the other organisations in Third Reich Germany who carried rifles and bayonets.

Police bayonets often have a marking on the spine of the blade near the crossguard.

P D Luneschloss of Solingen were makers of edged weapons - swords bayonets and daggers - from the late nineteenth century to the end of WW2.

If you scroll down the page on this site

k98 bayonets data and registry

You will see some more examples of Coppel police bayonets (and lots of others as well)

Regards

Richie

Additional ... Just seen your post - the star you mention is a police marking - often that is all although very occasionally you find a unit marking on the crossguard.

It will be a commercially made version as opposed to an Army issue example. Hence the general lack of markings and serial numbers. Yours is Police acceptance marked.

You can find out more here:

k98 bayonets data and registry

Don't attribute the date of the leather frog to that of the bayonet itself. The bayonet will most likely be later.

All K98 bayonets are very collectable. I would not rate it as rare, but well worth having.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks again to both of you. It almost certainly seems to be like this one from Richie's link k98 bayonets data and registry No number on the handle like one of the later versions. I am surprised that the frog doesn't match the bayonet as you say.

Looks like Richie beat me to it!

They might always have been together. But I did not want you to think that the frog alone would determine the date of the bayonet.

With luck you might find one for sale, now you know exactly what you have, to get a better idea of value.

Cheers, Ade.

...its made by alcosa.....jim

Thanks again for all the help. I took the wood grips off last night and saw these numbers stamped inside. Do they mean anything to the date it was made?

Nothing to do with the date I'm afraid - they are just a serial or assembly number.

Richard

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast