Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Need help identifying K98 Bayonet

Article about: This dress bayonet was given to me by a friend. All I know from researching this forum and other websites, that is is made by F.W. Holler and it is authentic by the clarity of the thermomete

Quote by Azcool View Post
    Thank you for all the replies. Such an educational reading. It give me more enjoyment when browsing on ebay and other war relic websites.
    Talking about fakes, I like to share my own recent experience.
    A couple month ago, I went to a flea market and found a Civil War cavalry sword asking for $160. It looks old, complete with patina, rust and markings. The guy claimed it be authentic. The rust has the same textures as if it is that old. Just the smell is a bit off. And I some sort believed him since I have a friend with some civil war items that belong to his ancestor that fought in the war. His possession are all authentic, proven by original issuance papers and authenticated by two museums and we can follow the linage of possessions. The rusting checks out.
    To make story short, I took some pictures and did some research. There is one letter that give it away as fake but I still don't know what era the fake was made. I went there again 3 weeks later to offer $50 but it was sold at full price.
    Guess what,
    Last week I went to a different flea market, in different town and found a same sword, brand new, shiny and still with the protective grease in a plastic bag. Comparing with the pictures that I took, it come complete with a "nick" that exist on the first rusty sword. To top it up, on the bag, there is a small black sticker that says "Made in China". Asking price, $59.99.
    Great Story and Ending Azcool
    Your research reaped you a greater reward more valuable than the sword or even an authentic sword. Its that time one takes ..to take a few steps back and analyze the How when , where and why of that item.
    Thats how wisdom grows and knowledge increases.

Glad you done that and seeing the comparison.
    We hear so many stories of new collectors running with stars in their eyes plunking down cash for junk and not researching it...unless their hobby is growing a collection of fakes at high price tags. Makes me wonder sometimes of all the ebay and auction house stories we hear.

Good Job Azcool

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need help identifying K98 Bayonet
    P
    Many

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2