Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Need info with an awkward mark on an ASW - 1943 mauser bayonet

Article about: Hello guys, I just picked up today this 43 ASW (E.u.F Horster) bayonet. I removed all the screws and undone all the pieces so that i could clean it and the most interesting thing showed up:

?

Default Need info with an awkward mark on an ASW - 1943 mauser bayonet

Hello guys, I just picked up today this 43 ASW (E.u.F Horster) bayonet.
    I removed all the screws and undone all the pieces so that i could clean it and the most interesting thing showed up: a weird mark (as you can see in the photos)
    Does anyone have any idea what that mark means ? What does it stand for ? Where does it come from ?

Thanks in advance.
    Michael.

Need info with an awkward mark on an ASW - 1943 mauser bayonetNeed info with an awkward mark on an ASW - 1943 mauser bayonetNeed info with an awkward mark on an ASW - 1943 mauser bayonetNeed info with an awkward mark on an ASW - 1943 mauser bayonet
    Last edited by Adept; 01-15-2011 at 07:00 PM. Reason: I misspelled some words

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need info with an awkward mark on an ASW - 1943 mauser bayonet
    P
    Many

Default Re: Need info with an awkward mark on an ASW - 1943 mauser bayonet

Michael,

Depending on the time period and maker, all sorts of different markings can be seen underneath the grips of the 98K bayonets. And some makers had fewer markings, while others used more. They can range from ‘assembly’ numbers which are like serial numbers (but are not) that were used to match up parts while manufacturing the bayonet.

To markings such as the one you posted. Which is almost certainly a mark to identify the specific forging die that was used to drop forge the blade. Dies that were certain to wear out or break at some point, and would have to be replaced or repaired. And the marking identified that particular die.

Best Regards, FP