Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Need Info Please re: 1935 combat bayonet S/185 G

Article about: Hello everyone -- I have a 1935 combat bayonet marked S/185 G on one side and marked 1494 D on the opposite side. The scabbard that it is housed in has the same numbers engraved on it as wel

britestar01876
    ?

Question Need Info Please re: 1935 combat bayonet S/185 G

Hello everyone --
    I have a 1935 combat bayonet marked S/185 G on one side and marked 1494 D on the opposite side. The scabbard that it is housed in has the same numbers engraved on it as well. The bayonet & scabbard fit into its leather frog that also has numbers/letters engraved on the back but these are a bit worn out. On the frog, the only part I can definitely read is "6A"... the other preceding letters could be an "Hc" or maybe "Hr". I came upon this website as I was searching thru GOOGLE to see if I could find out any information about this WWII item that my Dad brought back with him. He was a radio operator and machine gunner in a B17F while in the U.S.A.A.F. and on April 17, 1943 his plane was shot down in Bremen, Germany. He was captured in the woods near Ottenburg, Germany and became a POW in Stalag VIIA in Mooseburg, Germany from April 17, 1943 to Oct. 12, 1943; and then a POW in Stalag XVII B in Krems, Austria from Nov. 1943 to April, 1945. Unfortunately, I did not know any of this information until my father passed away when I came across all his papers, this bayonet, and some war medals. He never spoke of the war, while I was growing up, and I was too young and naive to even ask about it. I don't know what significance this particular weapon has, whether it was his, or a german soldier's. Maybe you could let me know just how these were used and the value, if any. I thank you for your time. Take good care.

2. # ADS

Default Re: Need Info Please re: 1935 combat bayonet S/185 G

This sounds like the standard German WW2 bayonet known as the Seitengewehr 84-98.

This fitted the Mauser Kar98k which was the standard German infantry rifle.

S185 is the manufacturers code for Elite Diamant.

So, the bayonet would have been issued to a German soldier - maybe your late father acquired it following his release from the POW camp.

Value - will be dependent on condition. Bayonet with matched scabbards are always worth more.

Hope this is of some use as a starting point in your research.

Regards

Richie

britestar01876
    ?

Thank you, Richie, for providing me with that information. At least now I know that it was not my father's weapon. I agree with you -- he probably acquired it after his release or forced march in 1945. I know this must have had some sentimental value to him, but it bothers me to have it. I am extremely proud of my Dad and every man and woman who has gone to battle in any war. But possessing this weapon conjures up images of lives lost and death to me, therefore it is very disturbing to look at. I prefer to look at his medals, instead.
    Take good care.

?

Hi Britestar , it`s great that you have found out so much about your fathers history , and you are rightly proud of him !! I take on board your comments about the bayonet , but please treasure it , as was very much a personal piece of your fathers service for his country , and i think would make a very nice display alongside his medals , .
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

?

It would be nice to see the piece and maybe it could be deciphere the stamping on back of frog? best regards,Andy