Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Newbie requests help identifying German WW1 bayonet

Article about: Hi again all. This weekend I also acquired this German WW1 (as best I can tell) bayonet. There are two numbers that appear to have been burned(?)/impressed(?) into one side of the handle. Th

?

Default Newbie requests help identifying German WW1 bayonet

Hi again all. This weekend I also acquired this German WW1 (as best I can tell) bayonet. There are two numbers that appear to have been burned(?)/impressed(?) into one side of the handle. The numbers are "21" best guess. If you look carefully the "1" appears to have been burned/impressed upside down. Assuming the correct number is "21" would that represent the soldier's infantry regiment? If not what would it represent? I did not see any hallmark on the blade. Thanks.

John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JWWW1GermanBayonet.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	246.9 KB 
ID:	410315  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Default Re: Newbie requests help identifying German WW1 bayonet

John

Certainly not German - looks Japanese to me.

I will leave the exact identification to someone else as Japanese bayonets are not my area of interest.

Regards

Richie

It is a Japanese type 30(+/33, 38, 40) bayonet, on the other side of the blade will be a marking each identifying a date, as far as authenticity goes I have no clue sorry.

?

I agree. It is definitely Japanese. It was erroneously listed as German. Tnx.

?

I agree it is Japanese probably WWII. The curved flange at the base is consistent with Japanese bayonets. What is puzzling is the use of Arabic numbers instead of using a Japanese character(s) for "21". There are no hallmark stamps on either side of the blade. Thanks.

?

The pure quality of this i believe could be a school bayonet or a chinese copy, which i believe is the more possibility, any markings there?

?

Hi Andy...I finally got a positive id on the bayonet. It is an error variation, i.e. the inverted "1" in "21" of a Japanese WW2 Type 30 training bayonet. The "21" represents the rack storage location number of the bayonet. I guess the Arabic "1" to looked correct either way to whomever impressed it on the handle. Perhaps Arabic numbers were easier to create in a dye compared to equivalent Japanese characters. Tnx for the response.

John