Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Numbers Matching K98 Bayonet

Article about: I purchased this a while ago off of Craigslist. It is a numbers matching #8050, 41 ASW. Seems in very nice condition. I feel I got it for a very good price also, not a steal because I do not

Quote by wpheaton View Post
    Who is Andy B? How do we get him to weigh in on this matter?
    He's one of the 84/98 experts who can be found on here, If you have a look for his name some where in this forum (should be easy enough to find) then send him a PM or he'll probably see this thread anyhow sometime over the next few days or so.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Numbers Matching K98 Bayonet
    P
    Many

Quote by Time Bandit View Post
    He's one of the 84/98 experts who can be found on here, If you have a look for his name some where in this forum (should be easy enough to find) then send him a PM or he'll probably see this thread anyhow sometime over the next few days or so.
    Agree MO so are Sleepwalker and Frogprince hopefully they will come along. timothy

William, congrats on a nice piece.
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

MAP
    ?

Quote by timothy View Post
    After blowing up and taken closer look see what some concerns are a case for Sleepwalker,Andy B and Frogprince. timothy
    Quote by agv44 View Post
    Sorry, but i do not like this bayonet. First, it is not a matching set because it is missing the prefix under the serialnumber on the bayonet blade. The digit also looks a little strange! Be carefull!

Best Regards
    agv44
    good spot AGV. Looked righteous to me but agree with Timothy, looks like the blade was scrubbed. Hope were wrong.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Quote by Gwar View Post
    Seems like a lot of work for a "Bayo"... I might believe this rubbish if it were a "Top End $$$ " Dagger of some sort... Just my two cents... G
    Huh..! Do you call my knowledge rubbish? This bayonet is faked to look like a matching set. Comments like Yours is the best way to kill a forum.

Quote by Time Bandit View Post
    No, not all had a letter suffix. The numbers started at 0001 and would go upto 9999, then they would start again at 0001a upto 9999a, then 0001b to 9999b and so on thru' the alphabet until they started again the next year.

Here's a good site to look at if you are interested in 84/98 bayonets K98 Bayonet Registery...
    Thanks for this info. So this bayonet may never have had a suffix?

Quote by MAP View Post
    good spot AGV. Looked righteous to me but agree with Timothy, looks like the blade was scrubbed. Hope were wrong.
    What do you mean "scrubbed"? I would think that to remove an old serial number you would have to grind it off and that would be obvious. Or fill in the old serial #, sand off smooth & restamp a new serial # which like Gwar says is a lot of work for a common bayonet not worth much.

I have had the bayonet out several times as this post has progressed. My camera is old and not very good. I have studied the blade and serial number. It does look like there are some faint, light stampings below & next to the ones we see. I would assume these were all stamped by a machine. Were any hand stamped? Even machine stampings could be imperfect if the machinery is worn & loose.

I was an industrial arts teacher. I taught metal shop classes. I know that in stampings there can be ghost marks where the stamping is not quite perfect. I do not see any evidence that old numbers were removed. there are no grinding or sanding lines in the metal. The surface from the cross guard on down the blade is the same. There is no evidence of any difference to the surface in finish or thickness.

But, I cannot explain why there is no suffix letter and I cannot explain the ghost stamping marks. Hopefully Sleepwalker, Frogprince & Andy B will give us some advice.

Thanks to all who contribute, even if different views,

William

Hi William, it has been re-stamped for sure.

The font is different on the blade compared to the scabbard. Look closely the shape of the numbers. A maker would not have two different sets of dies.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Quote by agv44 View Post
    Huh..! Do you call my knowledge rubbish? This bayonet is faked to look like a matching set. Comments like Yours is the best way to kill a forum.
    My apologies... Gwar
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast