Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Numbers Matching K98 Bayonet

Article about: I purchased this a while ago off of Craigslist. It is a numbers matching #8050, 41 ASW. Seems in very nice condition. I feel I got it for a very good price also, not a steal because I do not

Quote by agv44 View Post
    Huh..! Do you call my knowledge rubbish? This bayonet is faked to look like a matching set. Comments like Yours is the best way to kill a forum.
    Dear AGV44, I have known Gwar on this forum for some time and I do not think he is calling your knowledge rubbish, he is not that kind. I think he is suggesting that the whole idea of faking a relatively cheap bayonet is rubbish. Why would someone go to all that work for a few extra dollars?

Please do not be offended. I really do not think he meant it personally. Your knowledge is valuable to us all. Many before you thought it was good so you took exception to them, that is what a forum is, challenging each other's opinions for the correct answer.

Thanks,

William

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Numbers Matching K98 Bayonet
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Quote by wpheaton View Post
    What do you mean "scrubbed"? I would think that to remove an old serial number you would have to grind it off and that would be obvious. Or fill in the old serial #, sand off smooth & restamp a new serial # which like Gwar says is a lot of work for a common bayonet not worth much.
    scrubbed, re-stamped, ground...was not trying to be specific. Just that it does look like the original # has been removed
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    scrubbed, re-stamped, ground...was not trying to be specific. Just that it does look like the original # has been removed
    Thank you for your interest and postings. "Scrubbed" I think of like scrubbing a pot after cooking. You are taking off something on the surface. Serial numbers are stamped in. To remove you have to remove the metal around them which I see no evidence of. There is definitely some slight markings as if thre was some double stamping, but very lightly. The faint stampings I see look like the bottoms of the serial # stamped in. The mystery goes on.

I noticed that I posted this bayonet on July 3, 2015 before buying and all thought it was good.

William

?

Quote by wpheaton View Post
    Dear AGV44, I have known Gwar on this forum for some time and I do not think he is calling your knowledge rubbish, he is not that kind. I think he is suggesting that the whole idea of faking a relatively cheap bayonet is rubbish. Why would someone go to all that work for a few extra dollars?

Please do not be offended. I really do not think he meant it personally. Your knowledge is valuable to us all. Many before you thought it was good so you took exception to them, that is what a forum is, challenging each other's opinions for the correct answer.

Thanks,

William
    No problem! ;-) I think some people do anything for a few dollars more. TR items can be a minefield, and restamping bayonets have been done before. Let Andy or one off the other experts write their opinions before we Close this case. Best regards and happy Easter folks.

Quote by agv44 View Post
    No problem! ;-) I think some people do anything for a few dollars more. TR items can be a minefield, and restamping bayonets have been done before. Let Andy or one off the other experts write their opinions before we Close this case. Best regards and happy Easter folks.
    What do you do for Easter in Norway? It is really mixed here in the USA. Some do nothing special as the day means nothing. Others, like myself will meet early Sunday morning at daybreak to sing, pray, and thank Jesus for all He has done for us. It is the greatest day of the year.

William

MAP
    ?

Easter is not till next month guys!!!!! Well at least for those of us who are Greek...LoL.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Here is my take on the bayonet using the photos at hand, which could be off a little because of the lighting. So I can't get a good feel for it and the blued finish as compared to factory OEM bluing. Also needing to check the numbering fonts because I remember some Hörster bayonets that used machine stamped blades and hand stamped scabbards. So on the plus side, I don't seem to see really obvious signs of recent work. With one other thing that you see with some very legitimate bayonets is that some of them were period reworked by the Germans and put back into service. 1941 still being within the range of when this was done, thinking that some pictures in sunlight might help take this a step further in making a determination. Best Regards, Fred

BTW: While I like OEM/factory bayonets, a few of my favorites are reworks that have "been there and done that". Like those that have TR period armory rework stamps (a minority most do not), and one that came out of Norway with renumbered parts starting with a 1927 W.U.K. blade, a 1934 scabbard, to the later straightwing Eagle Waffenamts.

Quote by MAP View Post
    Easter is not till next month guys!!!!! Well at least for those of us who are Greek...LoL.
    That's right. I visit Ukraine every year in April. Some years I have celebrated Easter here one Sunday and Easter in Ukraine the next Sunday. I see where it is not until May 1 this year. Is it May 1st for you?

Quote by Frogprince View Post
    Here is my take on the bayonet using the photos at hand, which could be off a little because of the lighting. So I can't get a good feel for it and the blued finish as compared to factory OEM bluing. Also needing to check the numbering fonts because I remember some Hörster bayonets that used machine stamped blades and hand stamped scabbards. With on the plus side, I don't seem to see really obvious signs of recent work. With one other thing that you see with some very legitimate bayonets is that some of them were period reworked by the Germans and put back into service. 1941 still being within the range of when this was done, thinking that some pictures in sunlight might help take this a step further in making a determination. Best Regards, Fred

BTW: While I like OEM/factory bayonets, a few of my favorites are reworks that have "been there and done that" are: Those that have TR period armory rework stamps (a minority most do not), and one that came out of Norway with renumbered parts starting with a 1927 W.U.K. blade, a 1934 scabbard, to the later straightwing Eagle Waffenamts.
    Thanks Fred,

I will get some pictures in sunlight which we have a shortage of right now. Thanks for your opinion. I think you said it appears to be authentic to you? No recent messing with the blade?

William

William, It's still uncertain at this moment in time and "in hand" is what I would be looking at myself, and maybe an internal parts check under the grips which I do NOT recommend to those who don't have the skills set or proper tools. Best Regards, Fred

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast