Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Opinions on this WKC Bayonet

Article about: I recently picked up this WKC bayonet that I believe to be an original piece but as always I like to get second opinions. It has the makers mark from Weyersburg Kirchbaum & Cie. Solingen

Default Opinions on this WKC Bayonet

I recently picked up this WKC bayonet that I believe to be an original piece but as always I like to get second opinions. It has the makers mark from Weyersburg Kirchbaum & Cie. Solingen with the Knight’s Helm and appears to be in fairly decent condition to me. The seller told me it was a private purchase and would be used as a walking out bayonet. I would welcome your opinions on this item.

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinions on this WKC Bayonet   Opinions on this WKC Bayonet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinions on this WKC Bayonet
    P
    Many

Hello HGZ..welcome to the forum the bayo appears to be original and IMO cut down or shortened. I am not used to seeing a skinny fullr on this producers blade ....with WKC ..the fuller is wider.

A Great example is seen here on our forum sponsors website / archives > https://www.lakesidetrader.com/item....ation=Archives

You can see the difference the width of the fuller. Much of your plating is lost on the birds head pommel an the scabbard paint is all gone. Wait for my thoughts from the Bayo guys and I will move this thread to the K98 Bayo forum for further review.

Enjoy your stay Best Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

It doesn't look to me that the blade has been shortened. My experience with WKC bayonets is primarily with fire bayonets but I can say WKC seemed to prefer narrow blood grooves. Interestingly, WKC fire bayonets with long blades also had narrow blood grooves. My understanding is that they were the only manufacturer that did this.

But getting back to the originally posted item, the hilt has lost most of the plating. So while I believe it to be an original item, it is of little interest to collectors because of the near relic condition.

Thank you for the replies and moving this to the proper forum. Although it's in rough condition I have a bit of a soft spot for relics so it'll be fun for me to hang onto and add to my own collection.

Looks entirely authentic. That's the short blade NCO walking out dress bayonet. That blade style is know as a "Carbine blade" and noteable for the narrow fuller and slash angle tip. It does however seem to have been cleaned fairly severely, paint and rust removed from scabbard and rust treatment also applied to hilt, crossguard and blade.
    With regards to the crossguard length, with the short bayonet versions these are often smaller, for proportion reasons I imagine. you can see the difference with long and short Fire "bayonets", where the "S" crossguard is smaller when paired with a Carbine blade. May have been more obvious with some makers.