Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Police & refurbishment/reissue?

Article about: What up Guys! I did make a slight attempt to research this, but came up with little to nothing. However, I figured you guys here could spew info within hours... I understand the markings are

Default Police & refurbishment/reissue?

What up Guys!

I did make a slight attempt to research this, but came up with little to nothing.

However, I figured you guys here could spew info within hours...

I understand the markings are Police related?

The "mintyness" is what I'm uncertain about. Is this an unissued thing, or a postwar refurbish like the SVT-40s I am used to seeing (as my genre of collecting is concerned)?

I would like to have a "one-ie" German K98 bayonet in my collection. Is it possible that this could be a candidate for that position?

The images I took of the overall of both the bayonet and scabbard did not come out... Sigh. I had the camera set for super close-ups...

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Richie
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Police & refurbishment/reissue?   Police & refurbishment/reissue?  

Police & refurbishment/reissue?   Police & refurbishment/reissue?  

Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Police & refurbishment/reissue?
    P
    Many

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Police & refurbishment/reissue?   Police & refurbishment/reissue?  

Police & refurbishment/reissue?  

Richie, I think that you should (IMO) pass on this one - because it looks to me like a Spanish M 1943 copy of the German 98 K (S. 84/98) complete with its Spanish scabbard and "P.R. 8" marking. Being quite possibly a new manufacture (not recent - but made a number of years ago in Spain) bayonet. And if the grips are (very carefully) removed, I think that it might reveal a two piece type of construction similar to the HJ knives. Or alternately it could also be a leftover German one piece bayonet by itself that was overhauled after the war that acquired the cross guard serial number and "P.R. 8" along with the leather washer as a part of the refurbishing process. And if the leather washer is pulled away a little it may (or may not) show a closely fitted blade/crossguard which can also help in making a determination (the Spanish M 1943 tends to not have a close fit).

PS: Most German Police bayonets will have a maker marking and a Police acceptance stamp. With the so-called Mid War "Commercials" (or "German Government Authority") that is quite possibly the later wartime German Police as a customer) 98K bayonets having maker markings for some makers, while others might not - that could even have a partially covered up Waffenamt on the pommel underneath the flash guard. And different types of grips as another variable depending on the maker and time period. Best Regards Fred
    Last edited by Frogprince; 01-20-2014 at 03:36 AM.

Agree bayonet shown appears to be the Spanish model m43. Thinner blade and buffer pad give it away at first glance. My s84/98 has the Alcoso Scales trademark on blade and on spine is police eagle B mark always look on spine or curve in muzzle ring for police marks different than Waa. And not all of the Alcoso, and other models without Waa have police acceptance marks. Scabbards should also be without military Waa. Or three letter code From what I have seen. Scabbard could have the maker mark also like Alcoso.

As mentioned just above, it's usually not that hard to ID the Spanish M 43 bayonets once you know what to look for. With a couple of visual aids from some old archived images that I hope illustrate some of the differences. With one being the two part hilt, and the other the ricasso area and the typically narrow tang of the blade in relation to the cross guard (once the leather buffer pad is removed). Best Regards, Fred

Many thanks for taking the time with the informative replies! Its always good to ask questions BEFORE one buys. I practice what I preach...

?

Hi there
    I have to agree with frogprince on this. The only other thing i can add is on some police issue bayonets, they also
    Stamped another serial number into the metal part of the handle to record the issuance to units, instead of a battalion or regiment markings.
    Regards

Default Police Bayonet

Hope this might help Richie. Alcoso police contract s84/98. timothy