Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

pre war K98 bayonet hatched flash guard

Article about: please see the attached photos of a 1938 K98 bayonet. The flash guard is hatched which I never seen before, is it just something that Berg&Co did or was it more widespread? any thoughts?

Default pre war K98 bayonet hatched flash guard

please see the attached photos of a 1938 K98 bayonet. The flash guard is hatched which I never seen before, is it just something that Berg&Co did or was it more widespread? any thoughts?

many thanks, dave

The scabbard is dated 1916 so is either a mismatch or perhaps recycled from an earlier time.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture pre war K98 bayonet hatched flash guard   pre war K98 bayonet hatched flash guard  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement pre war K98 bayonet hatched flash guard
    P
    Many

?

Hi - This bayonet was re-furbished and used post-war by the East Germans I believe.

thats very interesting, and presumably explains why there are so many 'mint' K98s about. Many thanks for the information, much appreciated.

Dave

Yes, it's the DDR (East German) post war refurbished bayonet. The "waffle" flashguard is a feature of these and it may also have an alloy rivet in the scabbard throat. Many of these DDR bayonets appear almost unused. But it is interesting your one has the red Bakelite grips which appeared post 1943, yet the bayonet is made in 1938. Many of the DDR bayonets got new wood grips when refurbished.
    By coincidence I too have a Berg & Co example as well.

pre war K98 bayonet hatched flash guard

yes indeed, my scabbard also has the alloy rivet as you mention. Very interesting background, thank you very much and it does explain why one sees so many almost mint K98s about. Thank you

Dave

?

A WW1 period scabbard is untypical even for GDR refurbishment, as mentioned the piece is reblued, new later grips were added. b.r.Andy

yes, I think in view of what has already been said that its probably a mismatch put together in more recent times

If the scabbard has the alloy rivet, the match was made by the DDR authorities post WW2 (late 1940's/50s) during the refurbishment of the bayonet. I'm not aware of any other situation where the alloy rivet was used. That means it is correct as a DDR bayonet, but somewhat unusual as the scabbard is WW1 era (some continued in use into WW2). I have seen DDR bayonets with the red bakelite grips before so again, I believe its an acceptable variation of the type. I don't think it's be altered since the DDR era.

?

This is my first time seeing the "Waffle" pattern on a K98 bayo. Thank you Anderson for the very informative replies.
    That would be interesting to add one to the collection though.

Semper Fi
    Phil

OK fair enough, thank you for that.