Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Relic K98 Bayonet

Article about: I just bought this bayonet for my relic collection, the blade looks used or rusted away in the middle part, it´s thinner and not so wide as the top part, looks like it has been used as a ham

Default Relic K98 Bayonet

I just bought this bayonet for my relic collection, the blade looks used or rusted away in the middle part, it´s thinner and not so wide as the top part, looks like it has been used as a hammer on the none sharpened side but it´s sharp on the other side, in contrast with the end of the bayonet. Could you help me with possible reasons for that
    Attached Images Attached Images Relic K98 Bayonet  Relic K98 Bayonet  Relic K98 Bayonet  Relic K98 Bayonet  Relic K98 Bayonet 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Relic K98 Bayonet
    P
    Many

Default Re: Relic K98 Bayonet

That is hard to say, but it could be, that it had been used for hacking somethin like wood or branches like a machete and then having been constantly resharpened at that part of the blade that was used most. So that got thinner.
    Where did u get it from?

I got it from a battlefield digger from the uk, bought a lot of ww1 and ww2 ground relic items from him in the past, found in France/Normandie. This bayonet though is supposedly from outside Stalingrad, dug up by a fellow digger near an old field hospital if I remember right.

Ok, see the rust on the middle part of the blade looks quite new to me. So my guess would have been, that it has been used after the war on a farm or something like that as a tool. Since you said it has been dug up, then it could also be, that the material of the blade is simply rusted away and the one who fond it grinded it till he reached stable steel material. And that is what is left. One sometimes sees bayonets that have quite strong rust on the upper 2 cm while the rest of the blade is fine, because when they were lying around they were not entirely put into the sheath .
    Yours may have been half drawn from the sheath and then rusted only on the upper half.

Many thanks for your answer wwmilitaria, I also noticed that the rust looks not as old there as on the other parts, all your explanations sounds credible. That´s a part of the charm with the relics, one will never know for sure