Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

SS bayonts wood handles?

Article about: Hi. On another thread a comment was made saying "all org. photos of SS with bayonets have wood handles". From my understanding, in the early days the SS played second fiddle to the

Default SS bayonts wood handles?

Hi. On another thread a comment was made saying "all org. photos of SS with bayonets have wood handles". From my understanding, in the early days the SS played second fiddle to the Wehrmacht and used many reissue and or captured weapons such as the VZ24 bayonet which have obvious wood handles. As the SS grew larger/more involved in combat they drew weapons from the regular supplies. I can't tell from the pictures below if these are wood or Bakelite but they look like standard issue to me. Please let me know your thoughts.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS bayonts wood handles?   SS bayonts wood handles?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS bayonts wood handles?
    P
    Many

SRB
    ?

Bakelite on photos.

Hello,

nonsens...

the SS used all types of bayonets... german made or captuered.

Regards

A time sensitive matter if the word “early” had been inserted before photos in the opening statement it would have been in reasonably safe territory. With the question then I think being how many photos are there of the black plastic grips in use between 1938 and the German Army/Wehrmacht opening its military stores/equipment to the SS (from memory circa 1940). Something that I think caught some SS dagger collectors by surprise elsewhere are some early period photos of SS men in their standard black uniforms carrying only the combat types of bayonets (not in parades or with rifles, helmets, etc.). Best Regards, Fred

Thanks for you feedback guys. Frogprince, that's my understanding from what I read as well. I checked and got the quote slightly wrong. It read "org. photos of SS with bayonets all had wood handles". Basically the same thing.

I dont know if this may help..but afew pics from the Period Edged Weapons Photos K98 thread

K98 - Karabiner 98 Seitengewehr ( Bayonet )

You or anyone else are welcome to add any " In wear Photos " to those respective forums.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thank you. I see one of the pictures I posted is on there and I'll post the other. That's a great thread!!