Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

SS Panzer Division Etched Bayonet K98

Article about: Hi all, I'm hoping you can assist. I inherited a bayonet from my grand father 30 years ago and I've only just got around to researching it's history. I have attempted to review each element

Default SS Panzer Division Etched Bayonet K98

Hi all, I'm hoping you can assist. I inherited a bayonet from my grand father 30 years ago and I've only just got around to researching it's history. I have attempted to review each element below. I collect antique pocket knives and this is my first attempt at military research. I'd be pleased to be corrected, advised if this is potentially a post-war refurb, what the 68 represents and if possible an opinion of value (never for sale).

SS Panzer Division Etched Bayonet K98SS Panzer Division Etched Bayonet K98SS Panzer Division Etched Bayonet K98SS Panzer Division Etched Bayonet K98SS Panzer Division Etched Bayonet K98

1938 German Dress Bayonet, Scabbard, Frog and Portepee

Bayonet; Seitengewehr (Side Arm) compatible with the Mauser K98, Rifle of the Third Reich.
    Known as 84/98 or S.84/98 or most popularly as the K98 Bayonet
    10” blade heavily etched with Panzer Division 3, Totenkopf SS (Skull SS), Meine ehre heihttreve (My Honor Is Faithfulness).
    Marked with the Manufacturer; E.u.F. Horster. Manufactured in Solingen Germany
    Serial No. 2756
    Year marking; 38 (1938)
    Makers Mark; V
    As the war progressed, manufactures names were not placed on weapons so as not to not reveal to the Allies the location of German centres of Industry. A secret code was used in lieu. This bayonet has an example of manufacturing code on the underside of the guard.
    Secret manufactures code; WaA257 topped with an eagle.
    Unknown marking; There is a 68 stamped at the head of the pommel (The channel where the bayonet attaches to the rifle).
    The dot below the 38 is an indentation made by the slightly too long scabbard mouthpiece screw.
    A number of K98 bayonets from 1938 have black bakelite (early plastic) grips. The timber grips on this bayonet may have been replacements added later in the war (this was not uncommon). The underside of original grips (timber or Bakelite) were marked with the same serial number as the blade / scabbard during manufacture.
    Panzer Division 3
    The 3rd SS Panzer Division "Totenkopf" (German: 3. SS Panzer Division "Totenkopf") was one of 38 divisions of the Waffen-SS of Nazi Germany during World War 2. Its name, Totenkopf, is German for "death's head", and it is thus sometimes referred to as the Death's Head Division.

Scabbard
    Black Steel Scabbard
    Serial No. 2791 (unfortunately non-matched to bayonet)
    Marked; 43ffc
    Complete with the ball finial at the tip.

Frog
    Brown leather frog – This is not the original frog for the K98 bayonet from 1938 as it doesn’t have either metal studs or concave leather sides under the bayonet grips.
    This frog appears to be a WW2 Austrian leather frog for a Mannlicher bayonet, model 1895.

Portepee
    The silver and black bayonet knot is a traditional edge weapon accessory. This example is an SS Waffen Portepee that was worn by officers and Officials (Beamte). Enlisted men had a bayonet knot called a Troddel.
    The design was a double strap (das Band), a slide (der Scheiber), a stem where the strap entered the knot (der Stengel) and/or a crown (der Kranz), and an open tassel or a closed ball (die Quaste). Knots in the German service could indicate rank and organization and a complex series of colored enlisted knots could indicate the wearer's unit down to the company level.
    Note; Portepee’s are conventionally tied to the frog, not to the bayonet grips.

Many thanks
    Benjo
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Panzer Division Etched Bayonet K98  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Panzer Division Etched Bayonet K98
    P
    Many

Fake SS markings on a German combat bayonet. Produced in England in the 70s... BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

Sorry to say Bill's right. Original wartime combat Bayonet etched from the 1970's onwards, heres a few more original bayos with fake etches. Regards ,Paul

And yet more collectible items ruined by phony "enhancement" If they knew what they would be worth down the road I am sure they would be left untouched. Unfortunately not the case. Some people have too much time on their hands!!

Yes, a complete fantasy piece. As your grandfather had it thirty years, as Bill says most likely one of the English fake etchings from the 1970's.

?

porteepee when real is a SS sword or sabre, and frog as mentioned austrian or CS. etch is one of typical british Bayoking period etches to increase value of that piece.metall was polished heavy, the 38 Hoerster should have plastic brown grips, so flashguard and wood grips are here wrong and not origin. same as scabbard is not correct. b.r.Andy