Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Three bayonets - two generic and one more interesting.

Article about: Just got these in a very nice deal. I have some bayonets, but can one really ever have enough of them! Two of these are mismatched COF marked for Carl Eickhorn Waffenfabrik, Solingen. One bl

?

Default Three bayonets - two generic and one more interesting.

Just got these in a very nice deal.

I have some bayonets, but can one really ever have enough of them!

Two of these are mismatched COF marked for Carl Eickhorn Waffenfabrik, Solingen.

One blade 41 marked and the other 43 marked.

Both scabbards COF 43 marked and both in decent condition.

Handles in fine condition - non-riveted.

One scabbard with a slight dimple or dent, the other smooth as a babys bottom.

By a funny coincidence the two COF marked scabbards are but a few digits apart (0912 and 0915).

One of the Eickhorn blades has been sharpened (not very professionally to say the least), the other with a factory flat 'edge.'

Please note in the comparison pic with the three bayonets lined up. One can see the retaining screws for the scabbard spring. The middle COF marked bayo has a smaller brass-looking screw instead of the more commonly seen blued screw one always encounters.

It looks retrofitted. The original screw might have become lost and this 'aftermarket' screw fitted - are anybody able to confirm or deny? Comments welcome.

The third more interesting one is a matching numbers W.K.C for Weyersberg and Kirchbaum & Co Waffenfabrik, Solingen(-Wald) marked bayonet.

Apart form the three factory letters and the three digit number, there are no other numbers, stamps or letters visible anywhere on the outside of the bayonet (I didnt take it apart).No 'Waffenamt' acceptance stamps neither on the pommel, muzzle half ring, blade nor on the sheath - no nothing.

This leads me to believe, that its a 'commercial' bayonet. Supposedly some of these went to police and other organisations.

Can anybody elaborate on this, it will be most welcomed. Comments very welcome.

From what I gather, the three digit number would be for an early bayonet, but if anybody can take a 'stab' at the year, Id be grateful.

This is my first commercial bayonet and its in fine condition.

A few dimples on the flash guard plate and a crack in one wooden handle scale does not detract from the overall good condition (at least IMO).

A good looking blade in super condition. Pre-war(?) bluing looks superb. Unsharpened and only with slight drag marks from the sheath spring. Again, no biggie and to be expected, as it might have been taken out and replaced in the scabbard numerous times over the decades.

Scabbard smooth with no dents and only slight marks from a bayonet frog. One slight mark half way down the scabbard. Lower than a standard frog would reach. Might have been from wall hanging.

All comments, info etc welcome.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Three bayonets - two generic and one more interesting.   Three bayonets - two generic and one more interesting.  

Three bayonets - two generic and one more interesting.   Three bayonets - two generic and one more interesting.  

Three bayonets - two generic and one more interesting.   Three bayonets - two generic and one more interesting.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Three bayonets - two generic and one more interesting.
    P
    Many

?

nice blanko WKC probably a police or other NS branch piece. Wood grips on the piece are probably replacement when not matching stamped on inside.

?

Interesting, Andy. Thanks for comment.
    So to be clear; the inside of handle slabs are each to have the serial number of the bayonet blade in order to be original?
    I havent taken the bayo apart, but you certainly motivated me to do so at some point.
    Any other info on specifically these would have been issued to - I read Police or other paramilitary organisations (as mentioned above)?
    Some say these sometimes were for export - whats your take on that?

?

I would say export probably not, but police? or other NS organisations real. I have similar piece with 809 on blade, unfortunally not matching scabbard like You, there are brown dark colored plastic grips. The form of scabbard hook and finish of blade looks like post 1940 made, so in this period are wood grips not so obvious. The finish is better as post 1942, so i would tend to opinion about replacement wood grips, but when they are serialed to tang or serial number so it would be probably correct. Exception could be possible.

?

Interesting. Thank you for narrowing down the time frame of production. Much appreciated.