Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Unable to identify bayonet

Article about: I bought this bayonet at a community yard sale in a little town near Spangdahlem AB. I can't find any identification for it on the web. The blade and scabbard have matching numbers. The blad

hollingsworths5
    ?

Default Unable to identify bayonet

I bought this bayonet at a community yard sale in a little town near Spangdahlem AB. I can't find any identification for it on the web. The blade and scabbard have matching numbers. The blade reads "P.WEYERSBERG" on one side and "6960 a" on the other. The scabbard reads "6960 a" on one side and "1939" on the other. Can anyone help out?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unable to identify bayonet   Unable to identify bayonet  

Unable to identify bayonet  

2. # ADS

Default Re: Unable to identify bayonet

It's a German K98 bayonet, with matching numbers. Looks like wooden grips. Pretty rough condition but I like it. Welcome to the forum!

Edit: Can you also provide a full pic of the blade, thanks

A shame the condition is so tough...it would have been a nice matching numbers 98K! Oh well..it's Definitely got that "Been there" air about it!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

From what is visible the blade looks to be in great shape compared to the handle and scabbard. I'd have a place for it in my collection. This is one of those items that you fall in love with, and just don't know why.

It's a rough 98k bayo but good that it's matching. Must not have been out of he scabbard for years.

Jason

Hello Hollingsworth and welcome to the forum...Probably one of the most fascinating things about this hobby,, is finding an untouched and earthen looking edged weapon. I find it amazing that after 70 years,, that a blade will be found in an immaculate state. It just goes to show when these bayonets and daggers were designed and finally crafted,, that not the slightest bit of moisture got into the scabbard. To some collectors Ugly on the outside is acceptable as the real beauty is beneath! You have a nice standard K98 Bayonet,,that shows its age. In its present state,,it tells a story. Regards Larry

hollingsworths5
    ?

Default Re: Blade pictures

Here's the full length pictures of the blade on each side. I just had to wipe away a lot of old, hard grease and it cleaned right up. Don't know when it was sharpened last, but it has quite an edge on it!Unable to identify bayonetUnable to identify bayonet

'Paul Weyersberg' - a quality maker. Condition is poor, but I agree with the
    above statements, it's still an interesting and collectable bayonet.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Proof again that they made great scabbards with perfect fit!

Cheers,
    Ger