MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Varation KS98 dress bayonet with simulated stag grips

Article about: This is a varation of KS98 dress bayonet dubbed Pioneer by collectors but as Sleepwalker says it was just a varation it has simulated stag wood grips. It is unmarked. timothy

Default Varation KS98 dress bayonet with simulated stag grips

This is a varation of KS98 dress bayonet dubbed Pioneer by collectors but as Sleepwalker says it was just a varation it has simulated stag wood grips. It is unmarked. timothy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Varation KS98 dress bayonet with simulated stag grips   Varation KS98 dress bayonet with simulated stag grips  

Varation KS98 dress bayonet with simulated stag grips   Varation KS98 dress bayonet with simulated stag grips  

Varation KS98 dress bayonet with simulated stag grips   Varation KS98 dress bayonet with simulated stag grips  

Varation KS98 dress bayonet with simulated stag grips  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Varation KS98 dress bayonet with simulated stag grips
    P
    Many

Default Re: Varation KS98 dress bayonet with simulated stag grips

Has anyone out there seen this type Ersatz grip on a so called Pioneer I also have the standard KS98 with a pair of them also. All reference say they were late war subsitutes for stag as times got hard in Germany and Stag was in short supply true or not I don't know but I know they are period grips. They do look like stag at first glance. Sleepwalker?

?

I think these were customized by a soldier German or US during the war regardless of that they are very cool

They were a offered bayonet by the companies, as a substitute for real stag there is plenty of period documentation on that see Wheelers Seitengewher and others. Both Johnson and Whittman have offered them in their sales catalog as same sales description as in wheelers book. Most agree they are mid to late war when KS98 were being discontinued due to war efforts.

Original sources are always the best sources.

So you can see in the catalogs of the makers the different form of the hilt.

So this is not a pioneer bayonet... this is only a story without any fact.

The wood grips simulated stag.

This was not a question of the time, this was a question of the taste and the financial decisions of the soldier.

These bayonets were bought private... so the expense factor was imported.

wood is cheaper than stag.

By order of 1943 the production of dress bayonets, daggers and knifes had an end. Only bayonets and fighting knifes were allowed to made.

Thank you Sleepwalker like I said "Pioneer" is a term dubbed probably US collectors just a issue variant Wheeler states this model didn't sell as well as the standard KS98 I don't know You see period pictures of them from early to late in wear. You don't see a lot of the simulated stag grips here in US for sale as opposed to Bakelite Plastic and real stag. timothy

The inclusion of a 1943 dated order would be an interesting document to add to the information that has been collected so far as it regarded the later production of non-military dress blade production. With the Reichsführer-SS issuing a statement in June of 1942 (that also referred to an earlier 1941 unpublished one) that the SS Honor Swords were no longer going to be awarded because they could no longer be obtained because of steel quotas. Which seems to coincide with the relatively limited numbers of 1942 dated RZM blades. And the change in the quality of finish for combat bayonets (varies by maker) shortly after the beginning of the year, and with the use of substitute materials. Regards, Fred

the order of the Reichsführer SS. i have it, too.

here are two orders ... you can see the date of Mai 1943
    Attached Images Attached Images Varation KS98 dress bayonet with simulated stag grips  Varation KS98 dress bayonet with simulated stag grips 

Thank you Sleepwalker ,

That is some of the most interesting information that I have seen in a long time with some numbers (250 types/models) that quantify the scope of what was being done, that give a much better sense of what was happening. Perhaps not so good for the collectors of dress sidearms - but with the savings in steel and other materials by terminating their manufacture, it certainly makes a lot of sense with the situation they were in. And a million working hours a year is not something that can be ignored either. With the brief 1941 dated entry also interesting that mentioned swords, daggers, and pistols.

With Best Regards, Fred

My thanks Sleepwalker for such great learning information timothy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast