Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Vet (father) bring back k98 Engraved Dress Bayonet.

Article about: That is in beautiful condition!!!!! So did he bring back the Heer dagger in the background of the first and second pic?????? Semper Fi Phil Yes sir, he did bring that one back too. I have so

Default Re: Vet (father) bring back k98 Engraved Dress Bayonet.

That is in beautiful condition!!!!!
    So did he bring back the Heer dagger in the background of the first and second pic??????
    Semper Fi
    Phil
    Yes sir, he did bring that one back too.

I have some pics of that which I will post soon.

I will post them in the general dagger forum.

Also thank you to all for the replies

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Vet (father) bring back k98 Engraved Dress Bayonet.
    P
    Many

Fred Green
    ?

Hello Gary,

This is a very nice Heer dress bayonet engraved for a rememberance of his time in service. It is nice that it isn't one of those humped up newly engraved bayonets. The inscription and seen are actually pretty standard. You walked into the shop , leafed through the book and picked you design. Simple and good looking. I love the oakleaves in etching and the green felt in the mortise. Beautiful bayonet!!! One that could be the center of any heer collection.

Fred

as for the inscription, I used google translator and it returned this in english

"to the memory of my service period"

close..I guess

?

Yes Steve ,that was what i meant to say , the figure being differant also the lack of borders around the edge, i really must learn some German

Fred,

I have been seeing that a lot in my searches that these are sometimes called "private purchase".

It is confusing due to my dad being there in service and not a tourist. I cannot understand why a soldier in actual battle would have one of these.

Unless the soldier either:

A - did buy his own upon entering the service...?

B - maybe a soldier "returning" to service after being away for a period of time had this. Like he may have re-enlisted...or "re-got-dragged-back-by-hitler"?

?

Quote by yooper1 View Post
    I was wondering if my soldier may mean a specialized unit or branch etc. [/url]
    Its possible....The buyer just might have liked the style of it, or he very well could have been in the MusicKorps or similar. Of course the phrase "Zur errinerung an meine dienstzeit" is very common to see on a lot of different TR memorabilia, from postcards to daggers! I like your bayonet a lot tho, the engraving is simple yet very classy IMO. Thanks for sharing it and welcome to the forum too. Looking forward to seeing your heer dagger as well

Even cooler is that your Father brought them back. Nothing you can buy could be better than those items right there In my opinion

Fred Green
    ?

Hello Gary,

This would be a private purchase piece. Soldiers that wanted to upgrade their side arms(bayonets) could privately purchase an engraved bayonet. This soldier might have gotten out of service and had this given to him by friends. Soldiers could also upgrade belts, belt buckles, bayonet frogs, Uniforms and insignia. Some soldiers took it one step further to make their appearence that much better.

I have heard about the different colored felt in the mortise but believed that to be more of a collector myth than a regulation. If there is a regulation I would love to see it.

Fred

CBH
    ?

When the Germans surrendered , they were disarmed . Usually as the allied advance , towns and cities surrendered their guns , bayonets , swords , daggers etc , were all taken by the Allies . So your father might have got it there or through the huge black market in TR items following the war . Every soldier wanted something to take home as a Trophy . Or we would have anything to collect !
    Cheers Chris

Quote by Fred Green View Post

I have heard about the different colored felt in the mortise but believed that to be more of a collector myth than a regulation. If there is a regulation I would love to see it.

Fred
    Hi Fred...Somewhere within the K98 archives Ade has mentioned the different colors for the rifle slots...but I can not seem to find the thread. I have seen WKC K98s with the Red buffer.

@ Yooper..welcome to the forum,, you have abeautiful pack K98..love the logo detail. The etch is very well excecuted which is a rarity,,as most of the time these are highly faked. Looking forward to the other dagger when you post it. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

1. Armed forces in General = Red
    2. Jager Formations = Green
    3. Aviation troops = Golden Yellow
    4. Aviation supervisory troops = Green
    5. Aviation Comms troops = Brown
    6. Flak formations = Red

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast