Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WKC Schutzpolizei Dress Bayonet & Scabbard

Article about: A WKC Shutzpolizei dress bayonet and scabbard I recently picked up at an auction. The scabbard isn't original to the bayonet as it's unit markings doesn't match that of the bayonet. I unders

Default WKC Schutzpolizei Dress Bayonet & Scabbard

A WKC Schutzpolizei dress bayonet and scabbard I recently picked up at an auction. The scabbard isn't original to the bayonet as it's unit marking doesn't match that of the bayonet.
    I understand the "S.B.2042." unit marking on the bayonet to mean "Schutzpolizei des Reiches, Staatliche Polizeiverwaltung Berlin, Waffen Nr.2042".

However, I'm having difficulty making sense of the "G.Kz.944.5" unit marking on the scabbard. I understand "G." to mean "Staatliche Polizeiverwaltung Gumbinnen" and "Kz." to mean "Staatliche Polizeiverwaltung Koblenz". However, there should only be a single administration district in the unit marking, not two. How can a bayonet & scabbard have been issued to two districts simultaneously? Also, does the "944.5" marking indicate that it was Weapon No.9445? That seems like an unusually high weapon number. Or does it indicate Weapon No.5 and "944" signifies something else?

Thanks for any and all help, guys!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WKC Schutzpolizei Dress Bayonet & Scabbard   WKC Schutzpolizei Dress Bayonet & Scabbard  

WKC Schutzpolizei Dress Bayonet & Scabbard  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WKC Schutzpolizei Dress Bayonet & Scabbard
    P
    Many

G = Gemeindepolizei possibly.

New Insights

Very nice. You have to remember these side arms were in service for a long time and quite possible moved around to different Police districts with staff movements. Firstly this side arm likely was produced in the Weimar period and was originally a long version, as those were. Later these long blades were shortened to the new standard and we can see that the tip has been abruptly shaped (rather poorly done compared to some). The scabbards were shortened also which is easy with leather. The staghorn grips will have been removed and the Third Reich Police emblem replacing the earlier badge. Impossible to be sure when the blade and scabbard came together with your example, though it appears to be brown leather. And the blade is not in great condition, does that suggest it lived for some years without a scabbard?