Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 German Frog (Regimental?) Stamps

Article about: Hello Folks - Received today a WW1 (possibly refurbished Type 2 (Transitional) "Move-Werke / Walter / Mulhausen in Thur." bayonet, scabbard and frog. The bayonet is quite rare as i

Default WW2 German Frog (Regimental?) Stamps

Hello Folks -

Received today a WW1 (possibly refurbished Type 2 (Transitional) "Move-Werke / Walter / Mulhausen in Thur." bayonet, scabbard and frog. The bayonet is quite rare as it has the usual 84/98 hilt but uses a 71/84 blade.

But, my question is about the frog. In addition to the maker's name "OTTO KOBERSTED" (and I can't read the next line), there are two impressed boxes on the back.

The first contains [M.O.R.Kr. 489] and the lower one [L. Fl. St. Btt. Dog.]

Wondered if anyone might be able to decipher these. Perhaps they are regimentals or maker codes??

Thanks!
    - Mike
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 German Frog (Regimental?) Stamps  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW2 German Frog (Regimental?) Stamps
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: WW2 German Frog (Regimental?) Stamps

Hi,I found a frog manufacturer by the name of OTTO KOBERSTEIN ..LANDSBERG AM WARTHE..1940-1942, I don`t know what the other stamps are though.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Thank you Zwerge. That wraps up one part of the puzzle. It will be interesting to see if the rest can be deciphered. It is the most marked frog I've come across. I will take a photo of the front also. It has two slots for cut into the face at the narrowest point. I believe the loop usually went right between both pieces of leather.

Best regards! Mike

While some early TR frogs are seen with copper rivets, my sense of it is that it's earlier. And I would be looking at WW I (and maybe Weimar era) source material to ID the unit markings. Because I can't read the date, and it doesn't really look like typical TR era markings. Best Regards, FP

Thank you Prince. I was wondering if it might be WW1 or WW1/Weimar altered, as it had the WW1 bayonet that had been slightly reworked (deep black-blued grip and pommel and the frog itself is a bit different. The front with the slots is shown below. But, these may be common, as I'm no 'Frog' expert!

Best regards! Mike
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 German Frog (Regimental?) Stamps  

Mike,

Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on your perspective) from the front it's now looking later, and could be early TR. And if you can find an "LBA" stamped somewhere on the back, I would say Luftwaffe. With the rest not your typical Luftwaffe markings. But with that perspective it might help in deciphering them.

Best Regards, FP