Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

AL-Jungfern-Breschan

Article about: The building looks to be in good maintenance, but the Grounds sure could use some clean up..

?

Default AL-Jungfern-Breschan

The site of the Heydrich family home, located just outside Prague in Panenské Břežaný, was later to become an official subcamp of KL-Flossenbürg. The "Lower Castle", is well known as the former residence of SS-Obergruppenführer Reinhard Heydrich, his wife Lina, and their children, but few know of the later chapter connecting the locale to the KL system. From February 1944 til May 1945, the site was the location of AL-Jungfern-Breschan (Aussenlager J-B), an official subcamp of KL-Flossenbürg. The forced labourers, 15 in number, were German, Dutch, Polish and Czech Zeugen Jehovas (Jehovah's Witnesses). Earlier, thirty Jews from the Theresienstadt ghetto had been forced labourers at the site. Work involved forestry and agricultural duties. The prisoners lived and worked under SS guard. The Bibelforscher Häftlinge (Bible student prisoners), also forced labour workers, were originally incarcerated at KL-Sachsenhausen. The prisoners were all freed by members of the Red Army, on 8th May 1945.

Regards,

Carl

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture AL-Jungfern-Breschan   AL-Jungfern-Breschan  

Last edited by CARL; 01-17-2014 at 11:17 PM.

Default Re: AL-Jungfern-Breschau

thanks for the info carl.

?

Default Re: AL-Jungfern-Breschau

Most welcome Harry. The site is of interest for obvious reasons, yet this facet of its history is relatively unknown. Indeed, it must have been one of the smallest officially recognised Konzentrationslagers of the era, albeit an Aussenlager of KL-Flossenbürg in its own right.

Regards,

Carl

Default Re: AL-Jungfern-Breschan

Fascinating, as always Carl, I suppose if these people had to be in a camp situation then this was probably better than most others. Thanks for the info mate,

Dave.

?

Thank you Dave. Indeed, it would seem on the surface at least, that when compared to most of the other locales within the KL network, AL-Jungfern-Brescan was certainly not among the worst, condition wise. Glad that you found it interesting.

Regards,

Carl

?

A few more images related to the site:

1. A view of the "lower castle", the former home of Reinhard Heydrich.

2. Reinhard and Lina Heydrich.

3. Entrance to the village (Panenské Břežany)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture AL-Jungfern-Breschan   AL-Jungfern-Breschan  

AL-Jungfern-Breschan  
    Last edited by CARL; 01-17-2014 at 11:19 PM.

They just look like an ordinary couple ! Strange to think of the evil lurking in his head! I wonder if Frau Heydrich new

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Interesting and shows the depth of the camp system. What became of Lina Heydrich Carl?

?

Quote by DougB View Post
    Interesting and shows the depth of the camp system. What became of Lina Heydrich Carl?
    Thank you Doug. Lina later met a theatre director from Finland, ran Reinhard Heydrich's former summer home in Fehmarn as a restaurant and guest house and wrote her memoirs "Life With a War Criminal", which were later also re-released with an introduction by her son Heider under the new title "My Life With Reinhard". She died in Fehmarn in 1985.

?

Quote by sandgroper View Post
    Fascinating, as always Carl, I suppose if these people had to be in a camp situation then this was probably better than most others. Thanks for the info mate,

Dave.

Interestingly, one prisoner's testimony states that the food supply was not nearly sufficient, yet due to the nature of the work - in the orchards and vegetable gardens of the castle, the opportunity for additional food was plentiful. All fifteen prisoners originally transferred from KL-Sachsenhausen-Oranienburg in early 1944, were to survive and reach liberation in May 1945, when the Soviet forces arrived.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast