Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Auschwitz-Birkenau whip?

Article about: Hello, What could be the price for a item like this? The story is, it belonged to a guard or officer in Auszwitz and was taken from the camp right after the war and landed in the hands of a

Kazimierz
    ?

Default Auschwitz-Birkenau whip?

Hello,
    The story is, it belonged to a guard or officer in Auszwitz and was taken from the camp right after the war and landed in the hands of a family living nearby the camp. The rest is history....
    Here in Poland i would need to donate it to the museum. What are your thoughts about it?Auschwitz-Birkenau whip?Auschwitz-Birkenau whip?Auschwitz-Birkenau whip?

Prepare for incoming....
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

This is too short. The depictions of whips used at Auschwitz always display longer examples. An example within the USHMM (United States Holocaust Memorial Museum) collection, donated by Dr. Jacek Wilczur, also matches the longer form and construction shown in representations made by survivors, yet not this piece you offer above. The staff at Auschwitz used metal tipped rubber whips. The piece shown above may have some age but I believe it was likely used elsewhere, by a local farmer, for example.

The thread will now be moved to the Konzentrationslagers forum.

Regards,

Carl

p.s. Please do not attempt to offer such an item for sale on this forum. We will talk of the merit of such a piece but this is not the place to attempt to sell it. I have edited your original post, accordingly.

I think your best option is to donate it to the Auszwitz museum. I don't think that seeking the value of such an item on this forum will make you many friends. I am being polite, but as Ned says... Prepare for incoming.

Kazimierz
    ?

Ok lets forget the part about the price, i don't care so much about selling it now that i know theres so much fuss about it. My father is an old man, he bred cows, horses(all kinds), bulls, but when seeing this whip he told me he has never seen anything like it, a local ww2 expert when seeing the whip told me he is sure it was from a concentration camp but not sure which one. Ok then, if you're sure it's just a plain farmers whip i guess its garbage then, i guess i'll send it to Auschwitz museum and either they put it in garbage or whatever...

Quote by Kazimierz View Post
    Ok lets forget the part about the price, i don't care so much about selling it now that i know theres so much fuss about it. My father is an old man, he bred cows, horses(all kinds), bulls, but when seeing this whip he told me he has never seen anything like it, a local ww2 expert when seeing the whip told me he is sure it was from a concentration camp but not sure which one. Ok then, if you're sure it's just a plain farmers whip i guess its garbage then, i guess i'll send it to Auschwitz museum and either they put it in garbage or whatever...
    Hello, that sounds fair enough my friend. These type of items when genuine( which I too do not believe to be the case here) should not be sold in my opinion. A museum is the best place, even if it were just an agricultural museum, so I agree that you send it to Auschwitz and let them asses it and then suggest to you where you donate it. Leon.

Whips were not only used in the main camps but also in the associated factories and workplaces by appointed functionaries or orderlies tasked with keeping the slave and conscripted workers in line. So this whip might have been used on such a work site and not directly in the concentration camp... or as others have said on a farm. There will always be doubt attached to any "stories" of these supposed camp implements and artifacts. Even the Auschwitz museum staff would not be able to say with absolute certainty whether such a whip was ever used in the camp(s) as they will only be able to draw upon survivors memories on which to base any decisions, however the scale of the camp system was so great and the numbers involved so vast who is to say what existed with absoluteness and what did not.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.