Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Auschwitz Discovery - Curators Find Ring and Necklace Hidden in Mug

Article about: A discovery made by Auschwitz museum curators undertaking careful maintenance work on part of the vast collection of materials looted by the SS, has revealed a gold ring and necklace hidden

?

Default Auschwitz Discovery - Curators Find Ring and Necklace Hidden in Mug

A discovery made by Auschwitz museum curators undertaking careful maintenance work on part of the vast collection of materials looted by the SS, has revealed a gold ring and necklace hidden in a mug (one of thousands of pieces of enamel kitchenware at the museum) that had a false bottom. The hiding of precious materials inside their belongings by prisoners is not exactly news, not to those who have studied the events to any length, yet this find, some 70-odd years after the fact, remains a wonderful discovery. The ring and necklace have been examined and documented accordingly - sadly, no identifiable marks are extant, so the original owners will, in all likelihood, never be found. Over time, the enamel mugs' degradation process revealed the second bottom and the items were discovered. Tests show the items were made in Poland during 1921-1931 - marks bearing a knight's head and the number '3', helped with identification. Various tests, including X-rays and the XRF method (used to determine the presence of gold, silver etc) were also used.

Carl

News / Museum / Auschwitz-Birkenau

Auschwitz mug reveals jewellery hidden 70 years ago - BBC News
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Auschwitz Discovery - Curators Find Ring and Necklace Hidden in Mug  

Very interesting, thanks for sharing this Carl.

Here is a picture I took at Auschwitz.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Auschwitz Discovery - Curators Find Ring and Necklace Hidden in Mug  

I found out about this yesterday..what a remarkable find, if only there were survivors who might know the distinctive ring and necklace..what a story they could tell..Finds like this should help a younger audience be able to humanize this tragic part of history

The "necklace" looks more like a watch chain to me, but maybe not.....

Auschwitz Discovery - Curators Find Ring and Necklace Hidden in MugAuschwitz Discovery - Curators Find Ring and Necklace Hidden in Mug
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

A small victory for the poor unknown soul who hid them!...

?

A poignant reminder of the individual humanity that was brutalized and most likely killed by the irrational blind bigotry of a political system built on hate and assumed superiority that brought out the worst in a society of good people.

Never forget.

The same people are under constant attack in Israel today by Muslim radicals that want to kill every Jew there simply because they occupy less than 1/10th of 1% of Muslim controlled land in the mid east and are Jewish.

The Arabs that call themselves Palestinian ,starting in 1968, whine, snot and blubber about Israel striking them back when they launch rockets, that teach their children to hate and kill Jews, manipulate the left leaning liberal media to portray Palestinians as victims.

Hamas attacks civilians with rockets and uses tunnels that extend into Israel to launch attacks and squeals genocide when Israel fights back.

Absolutely no country in the world informs the enemy population to avoid civilian casualties when they intend to strike back except Israel.

I am a Christian with a brain if anyone wants to know.

NEVER FORGET.

Thanks for the posts Carl.

I am amazed after all this time.

JMM
    ?

Amazing. What a find!!
    From the pic posted by big ned, the necklace really looks more like a watch chain than a necklace

Quote by JMM View Post
    Amazing. What a find!!
    From the pic posted by big ned, the necklace really looks more like a watch chain than a necklace
    Dad's watch chain and Mom's engagement ring perhaps? Whatever, it's very poignant as it seems to me at least, that the items appear to have been kept for what they meant rather than for any monetary value, which would be very little even then I would imagine.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast