KZ-Groß-Rosen had an extensive system of satellite camps, reaching across international boundaries and located within mountains, fields, towns and villages alike.
One such site is the lesser known Gabersdorf labour camp, later known as Aussenlager-Gabersdorf. Initially a ZAL (Zwangsarbeitslager für Juden / Forced Labour Camp for Jews), established as part of the Organisation Schmelt arrangement during January 1941, the camp held female inmates who were forced to work in the "Aryanised" spinning mill that had been taken over by a Viennese textile firm in 1939. The first wooden accommodation barracks are believed to have been constructed during this initial phase of the camp's existence. The companies A.Haase and J.A.Kluge u.Etrich also exploited female labourers at the camp.
In spring 1944, the camp became an official satellite of Groß-Rosen, with mostly young Jewish girls and women, aged between 15 and 30, incarcerated at the site. A prisoner strength record of late October 1944 lists 363 women present, with over 60% in the aformentioned age category. Of the 363 women in the camp, all but 20 were Polish, with 18 Hungarians, 1 Czech and 1 Slovak making up the remainder. By mid November, 400 prisoners were recorded at Gabersdorf.
Rations decreased as time went by, with the bread ration falling to a little over 200 grams a day. A tasteless, watery soup was often the only source of nourishment the women received. Due to the poor nutrition, difficult labour and illness, the condition of the women patently worsened. Two deaths were officially registered at the camp during its existence.
The camp staff comprised mostly SS-Aufseherinnen, led by Kommandoführerin Charlotte Rose. Several male guards were also posted at the camp.
Eventually, the camp was liberated by Soviet forces in early May 1945.
Below is a post war image from the Yad Vashem Photo Archive, indicating the location of the former factory and camp within the village, nowadays located not far from Trutnov in the Czech Republic.
The region is also located on the attached map.