Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bergen Belsen Liberation

Article about: Hi all, My grandfather was a soldier based at Bergen Belsen after liberation, he was with the 8th Kings Royal Irish Hussars. I wrote a page about him, my visit to Bergen Belsen and facts sur

Default Bergen Belsen Liberation

Hi all,

My grandfather was a soldier based at Bergen Belsen after liberation, he was with the 8th Kings Royal Irish Hussars.

I wrote a page about him, my visit to Bergen Belsen and facts surrounding the camp but wondered if any one could help shed more light on the liberation for me to add to what I have written.

My Bergen Belsen story is here

Bergen Belsen

Default Re: Bergen Belsen Liberation

Hi Guy, a very nicely presented webpage. Thanks for sharing it and your Grandad's story with us.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi mugshot

Like Ade said, thx for sharing this webpage with us, it's indeed very well made.

Bergen-Belsen concentration camp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Displaced persons camp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Greetz

Nick VR

Thank you Ade, You have been most helpful since I joined here.

Thanks Nick, as usual Wikipedia solves the information problem lol. Ill use this information to add more to my page.

Hi mugshot

No problem, that's why we are here for. I'am glad that I was able to help you out...

Greetz

Nick VR

Here is a wartime German map of the area which I showed on the forum sometime ago:

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/germa...az-bergen.html

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks Ade,

That maps great, Im going to look at it in more detail. When looking at the map the camp looks huge, you dont realise the size when walking round it today.

BTW Below is the cap badges of my late Grandfather. The Para badge is because he took para training to get an extra 5 bob a week in his pay packet! But he was still in the 8th Kings Royal Irish Hussars.

Hi Guy, that extra shilling was a big incentive to do Parachute trianing and is why a great many of them joined, and who can blame them!

Hi Phil, nice shot of Josef Kramer "The beast of Belsen" as dubbed by the British press of the time. The use of the rank badges on the shirt sleeve is nice to see.

Cheers, Ade

I love the photos Phil....they are genuine ones??? My god thats amazing, I forget the ladies name in the 2nd photo but from what I remember she was just as bad as Josef Kramer!

Hi Guy, the woman in the photo I cannot put a name to. However, she is not one of those three who were later hanged by the British for war crimes.

Were you thinking of Irma Grese? (Not her)

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast