Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Bergen Offizier Heim Plate

Article about: Hello I recently picked this up from a vets family. It is a plate from the Offiziers Heim Bergen.. Comments? Thanks

Default Bergen Offizier Heim Plate

Hello

I recently picked this up from a vets family. It is a plate from the Offiziers Heim Bergen.. Comments?
    Thanks
    Bergen Offizier Heim PlateBergen Offizier Heim Plate

Looks fine to me!....

It doubt it has anything to do with the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp, though.

This would be from the army's Bergen training area next to the camp or perhaps from the German garrison at Bergen in occupied Norway. (There are actually a number of other places called Bergen in Germany and other European countries as well.)

Note that it just says "Bergen" rather than "Bergen-Belsen" and that the SS didn't use the military term "Offizier", but "Führer".

Here is a link with a Holocaust victim's knife from Bergen-Belsen that is marked identical.
    Knife from Bergen Belsen

?

I believe that the exact same knife shown in the link is now part of the Yad Vashem collection...however, the unique complex of camps that came under the administration of KZ-Bergen-Belsen, of which there were no less than seven in total, were part of a huge area that covered far more than the KZ itself. To understand how large the area was, motorcyle riders were issued maps to ease the navigation around the site - see the thread below for more details and examples of the maps:

Large map of Truppenubungsplaz Bergen

Thus, we see the difficulty...

One patently cannot state that such an item, marked in this manner, relates directly to the KZ. Rather, it may well have been issued in the vicinity of the site...and perhaps, made its way to the camp during the period that the final tragic act played out...

Carl

If only this plate could talk... Thank you for the help...