Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Buchenwald then and now

Article about: My father a 6th Armored vet got to see Buchenwald shortly after it was liberated. I visited in 2010. He are his photos and mine

Default Buchenwald then and now

My father a 6th Armored vet got to see Buchenwald shortly after it was liberated. I visited in 2010. He are his photos and mine
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Buchenwald then and now   Buchenwald then and now  

Buchenwald then and now   Buchenwald then and now  

MAP
    ?

Sobering to say the least. I was in Munich last year and made sure I brought my boys to Dachau
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Some more photos.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Buchenwald then and now   Buchenwald then and now  

TWS
    ?

Thanks for posting. I've visited Dachau, Flossenburg, and Buchenwald. But the one that really got me was Auschwitz. One of the most sobering experiences I've ever had.

Isle Ilse Koch was there what a horrid piece of kit she was her husband was executed for skimming stuff from the camp profits, one thing they fail to mention Ilse also has 2 Rottweilers she constantly turned on the prisoners. The dogs were very savage killing them she had lamp shades made out of tattooed skin after the owner had been murdered and skinned.

Would not have wasted time on a trial she deserved to be shot off hand as what mercy did she show to those poor beggars.......see link;
    Ilse Koch | German war criminal | Britannica.com

After all these years still a shocking place.

I first became interested in the holocost when I found my dads pictures, he had many more but cut them up in his old age trying to get rid of the memories. Only 3 or 4 are left. I have always wondered if people like Isle Koch and Martin Sommer ( a particularly brutal, sadist at Buchenwald ) had never expierenced camp life would they have lived normal lives in society. I tend to think most would be nasty people, beating wives and children, but would never rise to the level of a killer. That is what is so scary, that some people, from ordinary mundain backgrounds can have such primal evil in them that only needs the right circumstance or environment to surface and take over. Sure there are sociopaths that become serial killers, mentally ill who act out things no sane person would, but they are pretty rare. The sheer number of seemingly normal people who, when exposed to pure evil, embrace it and and find pleasure in sadism is truly numbing.

This is a great reminder of what OUR soldiers did and fought for, during WW2 in Germany.

The liberation of these camps by our soldiers is some thing we can never forget.