Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Concentration Camp and Ghetto Currency

Article about: The Dachau piece is a fantasy item. KL Dachau scrip had a totally different appearance. Later in the thread, I will show the correct format. The other examples are originals, with the Buchen

?

Well spotted, that is indeed a fantasy piece. That particular site is not a good place for this type of material. Reproductions and fantasy examples are common, and genuine pieces command wild money due to the auction fever syndrome that abodes.

These fantasy examples are not so common, which evidently leads some to think that they are genuine. But they are nothing in comparison to the genuine Dachau examples, such as this piece shown below, a scarce issued .50RM example.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Concentration Camp and Ghetto Currency  

Given the size of the Jewish ghetto in Warsaw any reason why a specific and elaborately designed Warsaw ghetto currency was not instituted? I know there has been suggestions of a currency but as far as I understand this was a kind of stamp rather than a currency note.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

I've been able to find a few at large shows but do you know of any reputable dealers who sell these notes? I've been trying to find a price guide for these too but it seems rather illusive. I just try to make the best guess I can on whether or not the person's asking price is reasonable based on rarity and condition from prior numismatic experience but it's still just a guess. I've heard that Feller and Feller have a very informative catalogue but haven't been able to find one as of yet.

?

Quote by StefanM View Post
    Given the size of the Jewish ghetto in Warsaw any reason why a specific and elaborately designed Warsaw ghetto currency was not instituted? I know there has been suggestions of a currency but as far as I understand this was a kind of stamp rather than a currency note.
    The issue of Warsaw currency is a complicated one and has several unanswered questions. Survivors of the ghetto even fail to agree, which leaves little hope for those who follow. One such survivor, a numismatic and philatelia collector named Henry Fenigstein, adamantly refuted any such currency was extant in the ghetto. Fenigstein, who remained present until the liquidation of the ghetto, later stated that he believed the pieces were created post war. The examples in question would have to be considered rather crude and also openly defiant compared with other official forms of money allowed. The lack of official record of such a currency for the ghetto in Warsaw also strengthens the argument against it ever exisiting. Is it possible that an underground scrip was made for use in connection with post within the ghetto? Yes, but an actual form of currency is very doubtful. Despite this, the examples can command high prices at auction. Why no official currency was put in place, is unknown.

?

Quote by Mothball View Post
    I've been able to find a few at large shows but do you know of any reputable dealers who sell these notes? I've been trying to find a price guide for these too but it seems rather illusive. I just try to make the best guess I can on whether or not the person's asking price is reasonable based on rarity and condition from prior numismatic experience but it's still just a guess. I've heard that Feller and Feller have a very informative catalogue but haven't been able to find one as of yet.
    PM sent regarding Feller+Feller valuations.

?

Link to thread addressing a new website, created by forum member porta and myself.

Our New KL Currency Website - CONCENTRATION CAMP MONEY

?

Floßenbürg

Two variants of KZ-Floßenbürg Prämienschein (Premium coupon) exist. The 1943 and 1944 patterns, both shown in the attachment below.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Concentration Camp and Ghetto Currency  

?

Floßenbürg 1943 and 1944 variants

?

Mittelbau-Dora

Several unusual denominations from the camp near Nordhausen, site of the secret V-weapons construction facility. More details addressing the Mittelbau-Dora examples are presented earlier in the thread.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Concentration Camp and Ghetto Currency   Concentration Camp and Ghetto Currency  

?

I find these posts very interesting carl.
    I had a plastic, red on one side and white on the other with a row of numbers that I acquired from a 1st army artillery veteran that he picked up during the liberation of camp Dora. It is in a holocaust area of a Jewish Art and History museum in Tulsa, Oklahoma now. I still have a well worn leather bull whip that came from the same vet from camp Dora.
    I really enjoy your posts they are highly educational. Every one of them are just more proof against the Jew hating holocaust deniers.
    I really enjoy slugging those kind of people in the mouth.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast