Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Concentration Camp Letter?

Article about: I saw this item listed for sale, but I am hesitant to purchase it because of how many fakes are out there. Can anyone tell me if this is original? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in ad

Default Concentration Camp Letter?

I saw this item listed for sale, but I am hesitant to purchase it because of how many fakes are out there. Can anyone tell me if this is original? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Concentration Camp Letter?   Concentration Camp Letter?  

Concentration Camp Letter?   Concentration Camp Letter?  

?

Yes, this is a fairly common period example. The prisoner was Miroslaus Buchner, born in early 1916. The letter was sent to an address in Litzmannstadt (Lodz) - his place of residence prior to deportation. Miroslaus Buchner was classified as a Polish political prisoner and would have been issued a red triangle form of insignia in addition to his number (19703). The letter was written in January 1940 and the prisoner was also imprisoned at Sachsenhausen. A year after the letter was written, he died.

Carl

Thank you for responding!! That helps a lot!!

?

If you do choose to acquire this, please try to remember the history and in particular, tragedy connected to the piece. This type of material must be preserved and I firmly believe that collectors should handle such material - there are others who feel only museums should maintain this type of material but as long as individuals hold the item with the respect it deserves, then education and respect can play a major role in honouring those who suffered.

Carl

If I decide to aquire this piece, I will definitely hold this item with respect!!

One more quick question. On the letter, it says "geboren am 12.5.20"? Is there a reason why this doesn't match his birthday in January of 1916?

Hello, as Carl has already mentioned, this is a fine original KZ Dachau letter. I personally have collected KZ related ephemera for some time and hold it in the most important regard. I have said to Carl in the past that it is an honour to preserve the words of the persecuted and murdered. A fine piece. Leon.

?

Quote by Keirn326 View Post
    One more quick question. On the letter, it says "geboren am 12.5.20"? Is there a reason why this doesn't match his birthday in January of 1916?
    Right to point this out. There appears to be an error in the Dachau register. This is without doubt an error as the individial would certainly know their own date of birth, i.e. 1920...

Thank you both very much! You have helped tremendously!

Hello, Carl. I chose to buy this item a while back, but I was asked about it the other day and have a question. Given the limited freedoms of the inmates at concentration camps, why would a prisoner be allowed to send mail to their family? Again, any information would be appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast