Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Concentration Camp Study Trip - Spring 2018 - Theresienstadt and Groß-Rosen

Article about: CONCENTRATION CAMP STUDY TRIP - SPRING 2018 Please to announce our next study trip, details of which are noted below. Recently, we returned from Austria after addressing the Mauthausen-Gusen

?

Default Concentration Camp Study Trip - Spring 2018 - Theresienstadt and Groß-Rosen

CONCENTRATION CAMP STUDY TRIP - SPRING 2018

Pleased to announce our next study trip, details of which are noted below. Recently, we returned from Austria after addressing the Mauthausen-Gusen camp system. We managed to visit the sites of four different concentration camps and this next trip, although a few minor points are still to be finalised, should aim to address a similar volume though quite different content.

This next trip is already confirmed as a go, we already have enough people confirmed so if anybody is seriously interested in joining us, please let me know as soon as possible.

TUESDAY 22ND MAY

We start as usual, in Prague. Guests should be aware that it may be of benefit to arrive in Prague the night before we depart, so as to avoid any delays. Our first stop will be at the former railway station and deportation point, now home to the memorial to the deported Czech Jews. Following this, we travel to Lidice, site of the massacre and destruction that was one of the major reprisals following the killing of Reinhard Heydrich. Then, we head north for a study of the unique camp-ghetto at Theresienstadt. After an evening meal, we continue north for an overnight stay in Poland.

WEDNESDAY 23RD MAY

Extensive study of the Groß-Rosen camp and quarry. Along with Mauthausen, the only camp officially categorised as a Level-III, i.e. the hardest conditions, KL. One of the former satellite camps will also be addressed after our visit to the Stammlager (main camp).

Evening return to Prague.

Threads addressing previous study trips will be linked below later.

Carl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Concentration Camp Study Trip - Spring 2018 - Theresienstadt and Groß-Rosen   Concentration Camp Study Trip - Spring 2018 - Theresienstadt and Groß-Rosen  

Concentration Camp Study Trip - Spring 2018 - Theresienstadt and Groß-Rosen  
    Last edited by CARL; 11-30-2017 at 11:01 PM.

I'd love to join you - unfortunately I am unable next year. I returned from Mauthausen, (amongst other camps) this year and it's truly a harrowing place (As they all are obviously).

?

Below are the links to previous study trips:

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/konze...2015-a-430246/ - Reinhard Heydrich related sites, Barackenlager Hagibor, Theresienstadt camp-ghetto, KL-Groß-Rosen, Deutsche Emaillewarenfabrik Krakau (Schindler factory) Plaszow satellite, KL-Krakau-Plaszow, Auschwitz-I (Stammlager/Main Camp), Auschwitz-II Birkenau, Auschwitz-III Buna/Monowitz

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/konze...1/#post1426649 - Holocaust related sites of Prague, KL-Floßenbürg, KL-Buchenwald, Buchenwald satellite Außenlager Ellrich-Juliushütte, KL-Mittelbau-Dora including tour of the tunnel complex and V-weapons manufacturing site

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/konze...2016-a-625890/ - Theresienstadt camp-ghetto

Concentration Camp Study Trip - Autumn 2016 - Auschwitz - Auschwitz camp system including the main camp, Birkenau, Buna/Monowitz and the satellite camps at Raisko and Jawischowitz

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/konze...2017-a-655915/ - KL-Sachsenhausen and f.KL-Ravensbrück, the only major concentration camp established primarily to hold female prisoners, Uckermark and Siemenslager satellite camps

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/konze...2017-a-675469/ - recent study of the Mauthausen-Gusen camp system, addressing Mauthausen Stammlager (Main Camp), Gusen-I, Gusen-II and Gusen-III

Carl - in relation to your Flossenburg trip (I can't use German letters on this keyboard) - is it plausible or even possible to get from Prague to Flossenburg by train? I am doing a 4 city tour on my own in 2019 from Prague to Vienna to Bratislava to Budapest but would like to go to some of the sites I've not been to before and I know it's close to the Czech border so curious as to whether it's possible without a car (I don't drive).

?

Quote by Bexinthecity247 View Post
    Carl - in relation to your Flossenburg trip (I can't use German letters on this keyboard) - is it plausible or even possible to get from Prague to Flossenburg by train? I am doing a 4 city tour on my own in 2019 from Prague to Vienna to Bratislava to Budapest but would like to go to some of the sites I've not been to before and I know it's close to the Czech border so curious as to whether it's possible without a car (I don't drive).
    The main camp / museum site at Floßenbürg is just across the border and yes, public transport is possible - several train stations in the area operate a bus service that runs to the camp. For details, take a look on the website:

KZ-Gedenkstätte Flossenbürg: Basic Information

In recent times, much has been done at the site to improve the representation of the former camp, this work is ongoing.

Carl

p.s. All four of the cities you plan to visit are well worth a visit. Wien and Prague especially, are beautiful.

Thanks Carl - I was using rome2io which was only showing me a route to the border of Czech then told me I had to get a taxi from there.

For those in the UK interested in going and can fly from Stansted the flight times for May 2018 have changed from this year.
    On Monday 21st May Ryanair flights take off 0805 (arrival Prague 1100), 1405 (1700) and 2050 (2345) while Easyjet have one flight, taking off 1025 (1315).
    For Thursday 24th May, Ryanair flights returning to the UK take off from Prague 0640 (arrival Stansted 0740) and 1710 (1810) while Easyjet's single flight takes off at 1510 (1605). Ryanair flights as of today range from £54-58 RTN while Easyjet's cost £73.

?

Thanks to those who expressed an interest in joining us this time, this one is now fully booked up with flights and hotels reserved. There will likely be another opportunity later in the year - we try to offer two study trips every 12 months or so. More details should be posted later anyway.

Carl

Great to hear that this study tour is fully booked up Carl, have a superb trip all who are going and be fulfilled in your time of learning. Leon.

?

Thanks again to those who joined us again this time around. We hope to continue to offer similar study trips in the future, certainly with an eye on next spring but possibly (if the schedule allows…) this autumn too.

Carl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast