Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Conservation Work at Auschwitz

Article about: Recent article addressing the ongoing conservation work at Auschwitz: Conservationist preserve Auschwitz site to remember Holocaust | Reuters.com The area featured in the video linked above

?

Default Conservation Work at Auschwitz

Recent article addressing the ongoing conservation work at Auschwitz:

Conservationist preserve Auschwitz site to remember Holocaust | Reuters.com

The area featured in the video linked above is located at Auschwitz-II Birkenau. The brick structures were bulit by the prisoners, using materials from the village that stood before the establishment of the camp. The sector of the camp was known as B-I and was primarily used as a women's camp. Recently, I met and interviewed a prominent former prisoner who survived several camps. She was held at B-I prior to her transport to another camp system. Her mother, father and younger sister, were all murdered in the gas chambers shortly after.

Below are images taken at the compound B-I.

Carl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Conservation Work at Auschwitz   Conservation Work at Auschwitz  

Conservation Work at Auschwitz   Conservation Work at Auschwitz  

CBH
    ?

Thank you Carl for sharing this , I'm glad to see their maintaining this important site for future generations .

I was wondering if you've ever read "Prisoner 88 the man in Stripes" by Roy D. Tanenbaum , it's the story of Sigmund Sobolewski .

It's a interesting book , with some insight into the running of the camp , also his fight against Holocaust deniers .

?

Thank you Chris. I am aware of this work, it is about a Roman Catholic prisoner if I remember correctly..? Not something I have read as of yet though I was told it is a good read.

Carl

CBH
    ?

It's a good book and you should read it if you ever get the chance .

He was a Polish Catholic who worked as a fireman in the camp , this gave him pretty unique access .

After the war he moved to Canada and when these deniers started showing up he did all he could to fight them .

Thank you for all your great work with this forum and as an educator .

?

Thank you, in turn Chris, for your kind words.

Carl

Bravo, Carl, thanks for your stellar contribution that remind us of the high goals embraced by this website.

CBH
    ?

Carl please PM me your address if you'd like my copy of the book , it was a gift to me from a teacher friend and I'd think it would do more good in your hands .

Actually Zygmunt Sobolewski worked as a translator for germans in the Camp. He was the 88 th prisoner ever sent to Auschwitz, he was a Polish Catholic.
    He was a sole surviving witness of the revolt in Auschwitz Birkenau on October 7, 1944 when a group of Jewish Prisoners blew up Crematorium #4 and attempted to escape. Sobolewski was on Fire Brigade and made to put out the fire. He witnessed execution of 450 Sonderkomando as retaliation for the escape attempt.

Thank you Carl for once again highlighting the current status of Auschwitz (and other camps).
    Also, thanks to Chris, I will have to order myself a copy of Sobolewski's work, sounds like a unique work on the subject. Leon.