MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Dachau Concentration Camp.

Article about: Cheers Adrian a very interesting thread, I have visited a couple of camps in my time, Belsen & Auschwitz..Auschwitz was alittle different I went with the Army at the time & we were a

?

Default Re: Dachau Concentration Camp.

Good thread Adrian.

A friend went through the same place that you did and came to the same conclusion,Adrian. He said that it gave him the impression of a county fair ground rather than a place of terrible events. He couldn't get a mental image at all of what it must have been like at it's apex. It's eerie to contemplate that the modern world is slowly eating such places and moving on. What will be there in another 100 years? One can only imagine-if anything. Even the Krema's don't give the look and feel of being such a major player in the whole panorama. They seem oddly small and unimportant, to look at them today. Nothing is forever, I guess. And in some ways, maybe that's a Good thing.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Thanks for your comments guys.
    William, your friend is dead right. It is very hard to get 'the feeling', visualise the events during the camps operation. I think is some way it is the lack of tangible exhibits and artifacts from the period. It is just concrete and dust now. In fact the only thing(s) that gave any sense of history were the poplar trees lining the camp road. They can be seen in the photos taken at the time and can still be seen today albeit slightly taller.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Adrian, well done and sincere thanks on posting a very informative and respectful thread. Nicely put together.

Regards,

Carl

p.s. Regarding the "feeling" one gets at these locations, I believe that it differs depending upon many factors. The location, background/surrounding area and indeed the individual's mood on the day, all factor into it. Many years ago, I chose to conduct the first of my study visits of KZ Auschwitz during February. Several people questioned my sanity, and in -20c (before the biting wind) and snowy conditions, it was a test. But I will forever be grateful that I did it when I did, as a modicum of the appreciation of the site, and the events that took place there, was indeed possible is such conditions.

This one strikes close to home seeing as how my grandfather (Member of the 42nd infantry (Rainbow Div.) Helped liberate the camp. He saw many of the things the Gent. in N.C saw and compiled a small diary filled with descriptions and photographs of things like bodies stacked up and things of that nature. Upon returning home he shared the book with friends and family who refused to believe that humans were capable of such atrocities so he burned the book. Thanks very much for the thread.

?

Thanks for the thread Adrian, the whole place is an important reminder of an age and regime that should never be forgotten, I had heard that the emotional impact of some of these camps was'nt what one would expect, although the everlasting feelings that i experienced at Belsen were ones of oppression, a heavy atmosphere, a sense of hopelessness and loneliness, something that my entire party experienced, whether it was the remote location, the silence or the mass graves, the colour of the grass or the rumble of distant guns on the artillery ranges miles away , i dont know, but it was upsetting,the image in your photo of the metal figures within barbed wire is macabre and somewhat eerie, just as eerie as when i talked to an old man sitting near the Jewish memorial at Belsen, he had lost family there and was an inmate as well, thats when it really comes home to you

Thank you Adrian. It was a very interesting posting. I was surprised that any Allach survived at all in the midst of all that horror. No people should ever be treated like that ever again. Unfortunately, mans inhumanity to man seems to have no bounds. I found this pictorial tour to be very informative as I don't think I will ever walk the ground there. I sincerely appreciate your descriptive postings of that place.

Mark

?

Quote by Adrian View Post
    The dead would then be taken through to the crematorium. Bearing in mind the gas chamber at Dachau was never officially used as such the gas chamber was used to store bodies from the camp before they were put into the ovens.

There is a memorial plaque on the wall to four female members of the SOE who died and were cremated here at Dachau.
    Im familiar with the four SOE agents you mentioned . Very sad story. Thanks for posting. My Great Grandfather was one of the American liberators from the 101st airbourne Div.
    Weird story really. I was in jail after a brawl at the local pub and I coudnt sleep . It was 3:00am , so I picked up the best book I could find in the small library and I cant quite remember the name...maybe "brotherhood of soldiers"...something like that, but it was several short stories of soldiers on the ww2 frontlines. About halfway through the book, I came upon a story by Bill Oatman 101st airborne ...! that was my G-Grandfather's name!Knew he was a war hero but I didnt know that he helped liberate Dachau . He said after he paprachuted in , the inmates were like walking skeletons and were at his feet holding his legs and crying. Some were just wandering around around spaced out. He said that they gave them food like cheese and coffee and stuff but they would just keep throwing it up but would continue trying to eat. I was astonished by this revelation!! There was another story in the book about how his B-17 was hit by flak and goin down. he jumped out and immediatly pulled his shute because the bomber was about 30ft. above the ground! his shute caught around the wing and he spun around three times before being thrown to the french soil. He then stumbled to the nearest farm and knocked on the door. the french couple took him in and nursed him to health. The Germans frequented the farmhouse regularly and officers would dine there. The pretended Bill was their deaf-mute son! He would sit at the dinner table with the German officers! Listening to their battle plans and troop movements then radio them back to the allied forces. I really wish I could remember the name of the book as it has been over a decade since this incident. I spent several hours online trying to find it and other info on him during the war. If anyone knows or can help, that would be cool.His name was Oatman, William J./ 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division /ref# 383. ..this is the only info I have been able to pull up so far. Thanks, Adrian for this thread!
    ~Dean

?

WARNING!
    ~GRAPHIC IMAGES~

Quote by Scout View Post
    I have not been to Dachau, but have been to other camps, as mentioned.
    I got the same impression as you from other camps. Somehow very sterile.
    Buchenwald did make a great impression on me, but that was years ago.
    Things there may have been changed too.
    Thanks for your input on Buchenwald. I have a couple of period photos of the camp and victims .I assume the living inmates are SONDERKOMMANDO .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dachau Concentration Camp.   Dachau Concentration Camp.  

Dachau Concentration Camp.  

Well done Adrian.

I think being taught about the holocaust and the camps should be mandatory
    in schools. People have forgotten the horrors the past. Young people
    don't have a clue. If we forget our past we will end up repeating it in the future.

We've all had classes where there was some mandatory book to read or film to watch.
    Perhaps "Schindler's List" should be required viewing.

Just my humble two cents worth.
    Last edited by Chopperman; 04-26-2012 at 04:13 AM.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast