Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Dachau Concentration Camp.

Article about: Cheers Adrian a very interesting thread, I have visited a couple of camps in my time, Belsen & Auschwitz..Auschwitz was alittle different I went with the Army at the time & we were a

?

Default Re: Dachau Concentration Camp.

Cheers guys.

Greg, there were alot of school trips there on the day, the car park had about a dozen coaches from various parts of Europe and there seemed to be kids everywhere. That may have contributed to the lack of atmosphere as they were all over the place laughing, chatting, running about - doing what 10-16 year olds do I guess.
    Good to see kids there, but I wish they could've shown more respect.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Great thread! let us not forget!

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Good to see kids there, but I wish they could've shown more respect.
    Good luck with that! I agree they should, but if that wasn't instilled in them at home or at school prior to the trip, than they won't show it when they get there. How many of them were busy on their "smartphones," wishing they were somewhere else?

?

Unfortunately I think you're right.

?

Quote by Dean View Post
    Im familiar with the four SOE agents you mentioned . Very sad story. Thanks for posting. My Great Grandfather was one of the American liberators from the 101st airbourne Div.
    Weird story really. I was in jail after a brawl at the local pub and I coudnt sleep . It was 3:00am , so I picked up the best book I could find in the small library and I cant quite remember the name...maybe "brotherhood of soldiers"...something like that, but it was several short stories of soldiers on the ww2 frontlines. About halfway through the book, I came upon a story by Bill Oatman 101st airborne ...! that was my G-Grandfather's name!Knew he was a war hero but I didnt know that he helped liberate Dachau . He said after he paprachuted in , the inmates were like walking skeletons and were at his feet holding his legs and crying. Some were just wandering around around spaced out. He said that they gave them food like cheese and coffee and stuff but they would just keep throwing it up but would continue trying to eat. I was astonished by this revelation!! There was another story in the book about how his B-17 was hit by flak and goin down. he jumped out and immediatly pulled his shute because the bomber was about 30ft. above the ground! his shute caught around the wing and he spun around three times before being thrown to the french soil. He then stumbled to the nearest farm and knocked on the door. the french couple took him in and nursed him to health. The Germans frequented the farmhouse regularly and officers would dine there. The pretended Bill was their deaf-mute son! He would sit at the dinner table with the German officers! Listening to their battle plans and troop movements then radio them back to the allied forces. I really wish I could remember the name of the book as it has been over a decade since this incident. I spent several hours online trying to find it and other info on him during the war. If anyone knows or can help, that would be cool.His name was Oatman, William J./ 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division /ref# 383. ..this is the only info I have been able to pull up so far. Thanks, Adrian for this thread!
    ~Dean
    EDIT:
    I finally found it! My Great Grandpas memoirs! SOOO much more than I could even imagine! The link I'm posting details this.Sorry to step on your thread Adrian, but I found it by looking at this thread and I thank you!
    Military.com Content

?

Quote by Adrian View Post
    The dead would then be taken through to the crematorium. Bearing in mind the gas chamber at Dachau was never officially used as such the gas chamber was used to store bodies from the camp before they were put into the ovens.

There is a memorial plaque on the wall to four female members of the SOE who died and were cremated here at Dachau.
    I have read and heartily recommend: "A Life in Secrets. The Story of Vera Atkins and the Lost Agents of SOE" by Sarah Helm.
    A very moving read about Atkins who helped prepare female SOE agents for missions in Europe. Atkins tracked them down after wars end or rather researched what became of them and found out some had been fed into the ovens of Dachau.

Excellent thread Adrian

In contrast I visited Belsen, that place was silent and eerie ! No gas chambers, ovens, hardly any buildings etc. just memorial mounds and a small museum .
    That was 1980, things may be different now

Nick
    Last edited by Woolgar; 04-26-2012 at 11:00 AM.
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Quote by Stickgrenade View Post
    Excellent thread Adrian In contrast I visited Belsen, that place was slient and eerie ! No gas chambers, ovens, hardly any buildings etc. just memorial mounds and a small museum.That was 1980, things may be different now Nick
    Absolutely Nick.......I visited Belsen a little earlier, 1974......a very informative thread Adrian.
    Prost ! Steve.

?

Quote by Scout View Post
    I have read and heartily recommend: "A Life in Secrets. The Story of Vera Atkins and the Lost Agents of SOE" by Sarah Helm.
    A very moving read about Atkins who helped prepare female SOE agents for missions in Europe. Atkins tracked them down after wars end or rather researched what became of them and found out some had been fed into the ovens of Dachau.
    Which ties in with the plaque in post #21!

Thanks Adrian for going to the trouble of posting this informative thread.
    I,ve seen me watching documentary’s or reading about these camps and i must admit I,ve had tears in my eyes at times imagining what must have been going through these inmates minds before there demise. Especially the children. Maybe im just a big softy or just human.
    As said before let we not forget.

Rod

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast