Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Groß-Rosen sub-camps - 4 in 1 day

Article about: Earlier this week, following several delays due to the recent unpredictable central European weather, I embarked on a trip to the north of the Czech Republic to visit four former Gross-Rosen

?

Default Re: Groß-Rosen sub-camps - 4 in 1 day

I prefer not to go close to such places of evil. Thanks for the photos and the horible storys.

?

Quite an interesting read Carl, thank you for posting and sharing. It is good to read sites like these are well documented by you. One can clearly see that the last site you visited will most likely not be there for long anymore and sites like these should not be forgotten.

Great stuff Carl

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Thank you for posting this.
    chris

?

Thank you for your kind words gents, I appreciate it.

Will address the final site later.

Regards,

Carl

Thanks Carl , i'm amazed that so much of the original camps are still intact,this one is especially interesting to me as I have those letters from GROSS-ROSEN that I got from you!! Leon.

?

Thank you Leon. The man who wrote those letters was incarcerated in the block just visible to the left of this image, which was of course taken at the main camp.

Regards,

Carl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Groß-Rosen sub-camps - 4 in 1 day  

Thanks again Carl!! I have saved it on my PC for reference if that's ok with you. Leon.

?

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Thanks again Carl!! I have saved it on my PC for reference if that's ok with you. Leon.
    Certainly Leon - there are more images on this thread concerning the main camp: http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/konzen...s-rosen-87730/

Regards,

Carl

?

The fourth and final camp of the trip was also located in Kratzau (Chrastava, Cz.), namely f.AL-Kratzau-II. Almost nothing remains of the actual camp, yet research enabled the former location to be found. The site is recognised by Czech study as being located at the place shown in the images below. However, Polish study identified Kratzau-II as being located approximately 50 kilometres away, despite documentation confirming that inmates worked at the same factory as those from Kratzau-I. The other location is most likely another camp, as it would certainly have proven difficult and unnecessary to transport the prisoners so far to and from work every day. The site would also have undoubtedly received another name.

Final site - Aussenlager-Kratzau-II

Established toward the end of 1944, the second Kratzau camp was probably located around 1km from AL-Kratzau-I. As with other sub-camps in the area, prisoners were arriving and departing in varying quantities throughout the relatively short existence of the camp. Initial transports included a group of women from Auschwitz, in addition to the prisoners deemed unfit for work at Kratzau-I, who were also sent to the camp. The prisoners produced munitions in workshops under the administration of Zitt-Werke AG. Several basic barrack type accommodation huts were erected, with small latrine sheds also present. The camp was surrounded by barbed wire fencing, typical of the concentration camp era. SS-Aufseherinnen were among the staff present at the camp. Although the exact number of victims is unknown, seven women are known to have died between February and March 1945. Eventually, in early May 1945, the camp was liberated by Soviet forces.

1) The former entrance area, including the Lagertor (camp gate). To the left, site of the former guard house.

2) Looking down the street - location of the former prisoner accommodation and administration barracks.

3) Häftlingsunterkunft (prisoner accommodation) and latrine.

4) The former camp boundary.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Groß-Rosen sub-camps - 4 in 1 day   Groß-Rosen sub-camps - 4 in 1 day  

Groß-Rosen sub-camps - 4 in 1 day   Groß-Rosen sub-camps - 4 in 1 day  

Last edited by CARL; 02-01-2014 at 02:05 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast