MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Hanns and Rudolf

Article about: Gents, has anyone here read this book and if so is it worth getting hold of? I heard about it today on a local radio station here in W.A. when they were talking about the 70th anniversary of

Default Hanns and Rudolf

Gents, has anyone here read this book and if so is it worth getting hold of? I heard about it today on a local radio station here in W.A. when they were talking about the 70th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz and it sounded like an interesting book. Any opinions would be appreciated,

Cheers,
    Dave.

?

Hi Dave,

The writer, Thomas Harding, is the great-nephew of Hanns (aka Howard) Alexander - he who was responsible for the arrest of former Auschwitz Kommandant Rudolf Höss. The book reads as a detective story and is worth the time although it does lean toward the search for his great uncle's story more than anything else. The basis for the Rudolf Höss work within the book is clearly taken from the "Death Dealer" book - the memoirs of Höss. Personally, I would suggest that should be read first.

Regards,

Carl

Thanks very much Carl, I'll have a read of the book you've suggested first mate, thanks for the advice,
    Cheers.

I've just read the book "Hanns & Rudolf" (paperback author Thomas Harding, Windmill, ISBN 978-0-09-955905-4) and thoroughly recommend it. I agree with Carl's comments, and you could probably find a more scholarly book, but it's well written and holds the interest well. Would be a good book to give someone not too familiar with the Holocaust. I found it held my interest and I read it over two days. Interesting also the review of the post war period in Germany and efforts to find war criminals. The recount of the arrest of Gustav Simon the Gauleiter of Luxembourg, by the author's great uncle is also interesting as is Simon's mysterious post arrest demise.