Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Himmler, Heß and Wolff - Visit to Dachau May 1936

Article about: An interesting image taken on May 8th 1936, showing Reichsführer-SS Heinrich Himmler (centre, with back to camera), with Stellvertreter des Führers (the Führer's Deputy) Rudolf Heß (right, b

?

Default Himmler, Heß and Wolff - Visit to Dachau May 1936

An interesting image taken on May 8th 1936, showing Reichsführer-SS Heinrich Himmler (centre, with back to camera), with Stellvertreter des Führers (the Führer's Deputy) Rudolf Heß (right, back to camera) and Himmler's chief adjutant Karl Wolff - visible to the left, standing by a signpost erected near to KZ-Dachau.

Of note is the detail of the signpost - look closely and one can see the wording Konzentrationslager (concentration camp) but also the finely detailed sculpture work depicting several prisoners being herded by camp staff - there also appears to be a guard dog visible to the right hand side of the structure as shown.

I took this image from an information point at the Topographie des Terrors (Topography of Terror) exhibition located at Prinz-Albrecht-Straße (today, Niederkirchnerstraße) and Wilhelmstraße in Berlin last year. See links below for more details:

Topographie des Terrors

Topology of Terror - The Historical Site

Carl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture dach.bes.mai36.jpg  
    Experienced guide and published author leading detailed study trips to the former KZ sites of Nazi Germany. Contact for further details.

www.concentrationcamptours.com

www.concentrationcampmoney.com

"maka akaŋl oyate maŋi pi ki le, tuweŋi wíyópeya oki hi sni"

?

Further images from this visit, i.e. May 8th 1936, can be seen within this thread kindly posted by F-B a few years ago:

May 1936 visit of Hess & Himmler to M-Freimann & Dachau and....
    Experienced guide and published author leading detailed study trips to the former KZ sites of Nazi Germany. Contact for further details.

Cheers for sharing Carl, i too have visited the Topographie des Terrors and it is a very interesting place!...
    It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

I'm Spartacus, not really i'm Paul!...

?

Thanks Gunny. Yes, it certainly is well worth a visit if in Berlin. I intend to post a thread related to the site when time permits...

Here are two better views of the signpost.

I had saved these images for reference from a thread on one of the forums (WAF if I recall correctly); the pictures were from the album of a member of the Oberbayern regiment:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Signpost 1.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	964770

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Signpost 2.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	964769

?

A fine amendment, thank you HPL. I had seen these much clearer images elsewhere but could not find them for this thread - and patently, the figure toward the right of the initial posted image is not a guard dog but another prisoner.

Carl

?

A quick question... Does this signpost still stand today or was it destroyed.. ??
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

A very interesting image gents, I guess the graphic style of the sign post was intended to be a "deterrent" of sorts to anyone in the general population who may have considered not following the Reich's "programme"! Leon.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." Ernest Hemingway

?

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    A very interesting image gents, I guess the graphic style of the sign post was intended to be a "deterrent" of sorts to anyone in the general population who may have considered not following the Reich's "programme"! Leon.
    The site was indeed well known by this time. Indeed, a new phrase began to spread throughout the land - if somebody "went missing" or was known to be held in one form of prison or another, they were "off to Dachau"...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast