Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Himmler, Heß and Wolff - Visit to Dachau May 1936

Article about: An interesting image taken on May 8th 1936, showing Reichsführer-SS Heinrich Himmler (centre, with back to camera), with Stellvertreter des Führers (the Führer's Deputy) Rudolf Heß (right, b

?

Default Himmler, Heß and Wolff - Visit to Dachau May 1936

An interesting image taken on May 8th 1936, showing Reichsführer-SS Heinrich Himmler (centre, with back to camera), with Stellvertreter des Führers (the Führer's Deputy) Rudolf Heß (right, back to camera) and Himmler's chief adjutant Karl Wolff - visible to the left, standing by a signpost erected near to KZ-Dachau.

Of note is the detail of the signpost - look closely and one can see the wording Konzentrationslager (concentration camp) but also the finely detailed sculpture work depicting several prisoners being herded by camp staff - there also appears to be a guard dog visible to the right hand side of the structure as shown.

I took this image from an information point at the Topographie des Terrors (Topography of Terror) exhibition located at Prinz-Albrecht-Straße (today, Niederkirchnerstraße) and Wilhelmstraße in Berlin last year. See links below for more details:

Topographie des Terrors

Topology of Terror - The Historical Site

Carl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Himmler, Heß and Wolff - Visit to Dachau May 1936  

?

Further images from this visit, i.e. May 8th 1936, can be seen within this thread kindly posted by F-B a few years ago:

May 1936 visit of Hess & Himmler to M-Freimann & Dachau and....

Cheers for sharing Carl, i too have visited the Topographie des Terrors and it is a very interesting place!...

?

Thanks Gunny. Yes, it certainly is well worth a visit if in Berlin. I intend to post a thread related to the site when time permits...

Here are two better views of the signpost.

I had saved these images for reference from a thread on one of the forums (WAF if I recall correctly); the pictures were from the album of a member of the Oberbayern regiment:

?

A fine amendment, thank you HPL. I had seen these much clearer images elsewhere but could not find them for this thread - and patently, the figure toward the right of the initial posted image is not a guard dog but another prisoner.

Carl

?

A quick question... Does this signpost still stand today or was it destroyed.. ??
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

A very interesting image gents, I guess the graphic style of the sign post was intended to be a "deterrent" of sorts to anyone in the general population who may have considered not following the Reich's "programme"! Leon.

?

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    A very interesting image gents, I guess the graphic style of the sign post was intended to be a "deterrent" of sorts to anyone in the general population who may have considered not following the Reich's "programme"! Leon.
    The site was indeed well known by this time. Indeed, a new phrase began to spread throughout the land - if somebody "went missing" or was known to be held in one form of prison or another, they were "off to Dachau"...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast