Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

KL Ravensbrück inmate number allocations

Article about: Thank you very much for your work, Im glad to know this.

Default KL Ravensbrück inmate number allocations

Not sure if KL Ravensbrück inmate number allocations are available online already but here is an overview of the inmate number blocks 1939-41 and when they were allocated (the notes have Polish prisoner counts as that is my personal interest). Hopefully it might be of interest to collectors of camp correspondence

KL Ravensbrück was set up at the beginning of 1939 and up until 31st August 1939 the camp records list 2096 female prisoners.

Until 1942, KL Ravensbrück was the only female prisoners' camp under the authority of the Inspector of Concentration Camps in Reichsfiihrer SS and the Chief of the German Police Office.

During the period 01/09/1939 to 31/12/1939 a further 487 prisoners were registered in the camp with ID numbers 2097 - 2583. The group included 10 Poles.

During the period 01/01/1940 to 31/12/1940 a further 2755 prisoners were registered in the camp with ID numbers 2584 - 5338. The group included 1000 Poles.

During the period 01/01/1941 to 31/12/1941 a further 3633 prisoners were registered in the camp with ID numbers 5339 - 8971. The group included approx. 1300 Poles.

In the years 1939-1941, the prisoners of the camp were mostly Gypsies (Roma), Germans, Poles and Jews, other nationalities were still in the minority.

Because the majority of the Ravensbrück documentation was destroyed by the Nazis shortly before the end of the war it is impossible to establish the circumstances of death amongst the prisoners or even the death rate in given time periods of the camp's existence.
    Last edited by StefanM; 01-11-2013 at 07:48 PM.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

?

Default Re: KL Ravensbrück inmate number allocations

Well done on creating a fine reference thread. Indeed, this will prove useful to somebody for certain. Thank you.

Regards,

Carl

A photo of Ravensbruck Polish "political" prisoner no. 47568 Teresa Breuerowa and one of her original camp number patches. Teresa Breuerowa was incarcerated 18 May 1943. You can see the number patch being worn by Teresa in her ID card photo. The photo is from Teresa Breuerowa's postwar ID issued by the Allies to former concentration camp prisoners and PoWs in the British Zone.

?

Just sent you an update with another batch of details via e-mail.

Regards,

Carl

Is there anything you can tell me about the lady who wrote these letters? I realise that her number falls outside the 1939-41 period. I cant read her name. Also she is asking for lists of (sometimes luxury items) to be sent to her (sweets, soap, sausage etc) Isnt this a bit strange for a KZ prisoner in 1943? Also, is she writting in Polish towards the top of letter 1. and can anybody read what she says? Any help appreciated. With thanks, Douglas
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture KL Ravensbrück inmate number allocations   KL Ravensbrück inmate number allocations  

?

Hi Douglas,

Re: Polish writing at the head of the page.

Appears a different pen/pencil than the one that was used for the main text, and the handwriting is also slightly different, so quite possibly this was added later.

Re: Request for goods.

I have attached some images of a postal slip, sent to KL-Auschwitz in July 1943. The reverse still has the original sender's list (written in Czech), and includes sweets, cake, butter etc. All these goods could be requested during this period. Restrictions were altered in various camps at different times.

Regards,

Carl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture KL Ravensbrück inmate number allocations   KL Ravensbrück inmate number allocations  

Thank you for your response, and the images of the Auschwitz postal slip, which is a most interesting piece. It is very clear from many of the letters in my collection that a great deal of different goods were being sent to KZ prisoners, and this is in itself a very interesting fact. It just seems surprising to me that a KZ prisoner, late in the war, would be able to source items that would be in short supply even to ordinary German civillians.

?

Quote by douglas2496 View Post
    Thank you for your response, and the images of the Auschwitz postal slip, which is a most interesting piece. It is very clear from many of the letters in my collection that a great deal of different goods were being sent to KZ prisoners, and this is in itself a very interesting fact. It just seems surprising to me that a KZ prisoner, late in the war, would be able to source items that would be in short supply even to ordinary German civillians.

Indeed Douglas, anybody would wonder likewise. I don't want to take this thread away from its original and historically important purpose, but I would add that sacrifices were undoubtedly made by those in contact with incarcerated family members, and we mustn't forget the multitude of ways that goods could be acquired and then sent to a loved one. You raised a very interesting point though, and thanks again for sharing some of your fine and varied collection.

I will look through my references and see if inmate number 11495 is recorded.

Not only were parcels being sent to KL inmates from their families but it was not unheard of for a family to "buy" the freedom of an inmate— even the Polish underground occasionally paid for an inmates freedom if that prisoner's family had influence or the person was considered of importance to the resistance. The KL system was totally corrupt and corruptible.

Quote by douglas2496 View Post
    Is there anything you can tell me about the lady who wrote these letters? I realise that her number falls outside the 1939-41 period. I cant read her name. Also she is asking for lists of (sometimes luxury items) to be sent to her (sweets, soap, sausage etc) Isnt this a bit strange for a KZ prisoner in 1943? Also, is she writting in Polish towards the top of letter 1. and can anybody read what she says? Any help appreciated. With thanks, Douglas

Douglas, I found the Sondertransport which includes inmate no. 11495:-

31 May 1941 309 prisoners received KL Ravensbruck numbers that covered no.s 11197-11505 classified as Political Sondertransport Warszawa.

The year 1942 included inmate numbers: 9064 (20.1.1942) to 15917 (date 30.12.1942)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast