Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Kristallnacht 75 Years On

Article about: November 9th 2013 sees the 75th anniversary of Kristallnacht (Crystal Night), often referred to as "Night of Broken Glass". The series of coordinated attacks against Jews throughou

?

Default Kristallnacht 75 Years On

November 9th 2013 sees the 75th anniversary of Kristallnacht (Crystal Night), often referred to as "Night of Broken Glass". The series of coordinated attacks against Jews throughout Nazi Germany and parts of Austria. The SA, along with non-Jewish civilians, carried out the attacks. The events not only saw the deaths of around 90 Jews, but also the arrest and subsequent incarceration of 30,000 more Jews in concentration camps.

BBC News - Kristallnacht 75 years on: How strong is anti-Semitism in Germany?

An event that needs to be remembered, thanks for posting Carl.

Thanks Carl! One of those anniversaries that could slip our minds if not reminded

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

I don't want to detract from the subject or hijack Carl's thread, but it is worth noting that the ninth of November was a fateful day for Germany more than once:

1918: The Kaiser abdicates; the Republic is proclaimed.
    1923: Hitler's Putsch fails.
    1938: The Reichskristallnacht takes place.
    1989: The Berlin Wall comes down.
    Last edited by CARL; 11-08-2013 at 07:05 PM.

?

Indeed HPL, thank you for adding those important dates in Germany's history - they certainly are notable.

My German grandmother was 13 years old at the time, and she told me about the events in the town of Lampertheim...They were let out of school early that afternoon. The synagogue was burned down, with only one wall still remaining today. It was directly next to the Fire Station, btw...only a bicycle path separating the two buildings...
    The Main Street (Kaiserstrasse) was littered with leather handbags and other leather goods from one of the Jewish shops, my grandmother and her friends gathered them up and were ordered to turn them in at the Police Station...Following Kristallnacht, Lampertheim claimed the dubious honor of being the first German town to report itself "Judenrein"...
    cheers, Glenn

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    My German grandmother was 13 years old at the time, and she told me about the events in the town of Lampertheim...They were let out of school early that afternoon. The synagogue was burned down, with only one wall still remaining today. It was directly next to the Fire Station, btw...only a bicycle path separating the two buildings...
    The Main Street (Kaiserstrasse) was littered with leather handbags and other leather goods from one of the Jewish shops, my grandmother and her friends gathered them up and were ordered to turn them in at the Police Station...Following Kristallnacht, Lampertheim claimed the dubious honor of being the first German town to report itself "Judenrein"...
    cheers, Glenn
    Great story Glenn. Really puts the horrors of that day into perspective.

thanks for the reminders Carl,HPL,and Glenn.