Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

KZ-Außenlager Holleischen (Floßenbürg sub-camp)

Article about: Good thread. Thanks. Cheers, Ade.

?

Default Re: KL Holleischen

Many structures located in the forest at Werk-II, were destroyed or damaged during allied air attacks. Here, some of the remaining sites are visible.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture KZ-Außenlager Holleischen (Floßenbürg sub-camp)   KZ-Außenlager Holleischen (Floßenbürg sub-camp)  

?

Default re: KZ-Außenlager Holleischen (Floßenbürg sub-camp)

Further images below, taken during a recent study tour of MWH (MetalwerkeHolleischen) munitions facility. The images show the exterior and interior of the former control tower located at Werk I.

1. The foot of the tower. At this site several Italian prisoners were executed a week before liberation.
    2. Sign from the original construction, Wien.
    3. The interior. View looking down through the ladder opening.
    4. Fixtures and fittings.

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture KZ-Außenlager Holleischen (Floßenbürg sub-camp)   KZ-Außenlager Holleischen (Floßenbürg sub-camp)  

KZ-Außenlager Holleischen (Floßenbürg sub-camp)   KZ-Außenlager Holleischen (Floßenbürg sub-camp)  

Very interesting thread Carl and very informative!..

?

Further images...

1. Communication apparatus.
    2+3. Fittings.
    4. The entrance.

The structure, although intact and solid, has not been used for many years. The interior is in near total darkness, and as with many other sites at the former Werk I locale, covered in oil. The majority of the buildings still retain at least some of their period applied camouflage paint, used in an attempt to conceal the facility from the allied aircraft.

KZ-Außenlager Holleischen (Floßenbürg sub-camp)   KZ-Außenlager Holleischen (Floßenbürg sub-camp)  

?

That’s truly some amazing pictures and an informative thread! I plan to go there this summer; so far I’ve been able to locate the (now private) barracks building and the Werk I on Google Maps. However, I can’t pinpoint Werk II – would you happen to have any coordinates to that location?

//Alexander

?

Welcome to the forum Alexander and thank you for your kind words.

I will send you a PM regarding the site.

Regards,

Carl

Note: The Werk II site comprised many small structures scattered throughout the nearby forest, some of which only remain in a state of ruin today.

?

Several further images, taken during a follow-up study visit earlier this year:

1. WERK-I, MWH (MetalwerkeHolleischen). Interior fittings.

2. WERK-I. Exterior image showing original fittings present.

3. WERK-I, former office and guard point, located just outside the main munitions facility.

Do you have information on what munitions were manufactured here? FLAK 18?

?

Quote by hassiman View Post
    Do you have information on what munitions were manufactured here? FLAK 18?
    Various types of munition were produced throughout the war, including FLAK. Towards the end, anti-tank was one of the main concerns. Examples can be found within the forest area where WERK-II was located.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture KZ-Außenlager Holleischen (Floßenbürg sub-camp)  

?

More images taken at WERK-I:

1. The steps down to the underground sector, a sprawling maze that confused even those that worked there regularly.

2. Another area within the underground sector.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast