Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

KZ-Buchenwald

Article about: Some images from an earlier visit to Groß-Rosen were posted last week, I shall now share some more images, this time from a study visit to Buchenwald, Weimar: Annoyed from this ads?   1

?

Default re: KZ-Buchenwald

KL-Buchenwald:

Entrance and Appellplatz (Roll call area)

1. Detail of gate. Rather than the infamous "Arbeit Macht Frei" ("Work makes you free"), Buchenwald's gate bears the slogan "Jedem Das Seine" ("To each his own", or figuratively speaking "You get what you deserve").

2. Appellplatz and Main Entrance building.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture KZ-Buchenwald   KZ-Buchenwald  

Last edited by CARL; 02-13-2014 at 09:06 PM.

?

Konzentrationslager Buchenwald:

Pathology Room:

1. Instruments.
    2-3. Views of the pathology room.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture KZ-Buchenwald   KZ-Buchenwald  

KZ-Buchenwald  

?

Default Re: KL Buchenwald Visit

Quote by danhashman View Post
    Disturbing images... They gave me the chills...
    Indeed. My Father was there in 1945, he walked the perimeter as he was not allowed in due to a typhoid outbreak.
    What he saw there haunted him for the rest of his life.

Andy

?

Kleines Lager (The Little Camp):

The commemorative area shown below stands on the site of the infamous former "Little Camp". The Little Camp was separated from the main Konzentrationslager area by a barbed wire fence, located toward the rear of the camp grounds.

Conditions in Buchenwald were never more difficult than those endured by the prisoners incarcerated here. Late in 1942, Poles, Soviets Dutch and French prisoners were the first to be imprisoned at this location. By 1945, the camp was known as the Judenlager (Jewish Camp), due to the high volume of Jewish prisoners, many of whom were children whose parents had been murdered at various locales throughout eastern Europe.

Many of the deaths throughout 1945, occurred at The Little Camp. For the prisoners, conditions were truly abhorrent. There was no water, sanitation or heating, with up to 2,000 inmates existing in wooden structures designed to hold 50 horses. Rations were also lower here than in the main camp nearby. Corpses piled up outside the buildings as the death toll mounted.

After the camp was liberated, all trace of the Little Camp was obliterated, with preservation of the main camp area being more of a consideration until the 1990's, when eventually, relatives of the survivors assisted in the foundation of this memorial area.

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture KZ-Buchenwald  

?

Main Entrance Building and Confinement Cells:

Below is a view of the main entrance building, with the confinement cell blocks also visible. In the background stands a watchtower and the former prisoner's canteen, now used to exhibit displays.

Hi Carl,your dedication in helping to show us all(and i mean the world!!)the true horror of what happened all those years ago is so appreciated.There is to much time spent on shiney badges(myself included)and not enough on documenting the massacre of the innocents!Well done once again my friend, Leon.

?

The "Zoo" / Bear Pit area:

The attached image shows the bear pit area that was built to amuse the SS guard staff, and also the children of Kommandant Karl Koch and his infamous wife, Ilse. Note the crematorium facility in the background.
    Last edited by CARL; 02-16-2014 at 09:44 PM.

?

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hi Carl,your dedication in helping to show us all(and i mean the world!!)the true horror of what happened all those years ago is so appreciated.There is to much time spent on shiney badges(myself included)and not enough on documenting the massacre of the innocents!Well done once again my friend, Leon.
    Thank you sincerely for your kind and encouraging words Leon, I appreciate them. All being well, there should indeed be plenty more to share in the future.

Regards,

Carl

Hi Carl another great thread...one question,though....what are the fence poles in the wooded area? or maybe I missed something in your numbered descriptions. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Thank you Larry,

The poles in the wooded area mark the graves of prisoners.

Regards,

Carl

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast