Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

KZ Fencing

Article about: A further view of Aussenlager Ellrich-Juliushütte, with fence posts in the foreground. This view was taken from the site of one of the former prisoner accommodation blocks, looking towards t

Default re: KZ Fencing

I have a question Tiger.

The post with curved tops, made out of concrete. Is or are there a specific name for this type of post?

?

Quote by octavian View Post
    I have a question Tiger.

The post with curved tops, made out of concrete. Is or are there a specific name for this type of post?
    Do you mean a specific term from the period, or in general? Either way, I honestly can't answer your question.

Regards,

Carl

?

The wire is interesting in that there are a lot more barbs per foot as opposed to regular barbed wire.

Hmm how to explain... Like around where i am from we use "T" posts, "Casing" Posts. Didn't know if there was a certain nickname for them.

?

Quote by SteveR View Post
    The wire is interesting in that there are a lot more barbs per foot as opposed to regular barbed wire.
    Indeed, well noted Steve. Not without cruel purpose either.

?

Quote by octavian View Post
    Hmm how to explain... Like around where i am from we use "T" posts, "Casing" Posts. Didn't know if there was a certain nickname for them.
    I see. Well, perhaps there is, in the trade so to speak.

Very nice photos of brutal material. Thanks, FB

A common name in the trade for concrete posts in the U.K. is a 'Godfather'. Although these are generally straight and can be used with gravel boards, wooden panels, chain link or woven mesh fencing. The ones with the angled tops with holes for two or three strands of barbed wire are called 'Crank necked' concrete posts as a rule.

It should be noted also that the electrical current used in the camps was DC (Direct Current) that causes anything that touches the wire to 'stick' to it, as the body forms a capacitor and cannot be thrown off, rather than AC (Alternating Current) that will throw off anything that touches it, a safety feature to avoid causing death.

It has been said that the voltage used was up to 10,000 volts, but it's not that that kills you, it's the amperage (the power of the current). As little as 0.5 of an amp can be fatal. This is what enables small handheld tasers run off a couple of AA batteries to be so effective.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Very interesting, thank you Ned. Could you send me the source of the information please? It will be useful for my research.

Regards,

Carl

Thanks Ned! I think you pegged it just fine. I will have to remember that. Cranked Necked.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast